buying a grand

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Rosi, you might like to read the thread (well, more of a rope now!) entitled 'Which is better...' under this same 'General' section. Most of the arguments are set out there for you (in an increasingly hedgehoggy fashion - but stick with it!). If you are buying new, then it really boils down to 'You pays yer money, you takes yer choice'. I know that's relatively unhelpful to you, but it's a bit like us choosing your wallpaper for you; you know what you like, we don't. In terms of quality both makes are good, but you need to play the instrument you purchase. It's no good falling in love with the sound of one Kawai and then ordering one just like it - two instruments can be made side by side on the production line yet still sound different.
My own preference is for Yamaha - but then I also like olives and the colour purple!!!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Try a Yamaha C3.

The C3 is quite simply the best balance between price and performance of any piano in the world, even without the quote frankly bloody stupid discounts offered by Yamaha dealers.

PG
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

Would be nice to hear about brands other than Kawai and Yamaha - my most detested makes. How about Bluthner, Petrof, Boesendorfer??
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

We only tend to answer questions we are asked

Bluthner and Bosendorfer are in a different league to Kawaii and Yamaha, Petrof are up there with Kawaii and Yamaha but they have a different tonal
quality.

Myself I love to work on Bosendorfers as they do as you ask but I don't have many on my round . Bluthners on the other hand I do a lot, toning is a pleasure they are far better made than Kawaii and Yamaha and the concert grands are very close in price but at the lower end of the market Bluthner pianos are very expensive compared to say the Yamaha S4A

Now if you compare the Bluthner S6 (191cm) at RRP £43.790 with the Yamaha S4A (191cm) RRP £28,499 the Bluthner has it but you have to ask your self is worth that much more I think they are not side be side now, but in 10 -20 years the Yamaha will have lost it but the Bluthner still keeps going and
that is what makes the Bluthner worth that extra

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

Dear Barrie,

Thank you very much for your reply. Enjoyed constructive posts such as that. :D I have a 5' 1" Moutrie that I just bought with serial number 2003122. Although I have a lot of faith in this piano, I don't know how to tell how long it would last. I just don't have enough money for a Steinway, though I would very much love to get the cheapest one if I could.

If you could help me out here (I mean, as a personal favor maybe) I would gladly provide you with more information if needed. Maybe this post would be better off in another section instead? Regards,

Alvin
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I have not seen one of your pianos but I believe they are made in China the quality all depends on which factory they came form they certainly would not be on the same level or anywhere near the quality of the pianos I mentioned in the last post not even the Yamaha S4A probably closer to the GB1 on tone but not performance but with out seeing one it is difficult

As to pianos lasting all depends on the environment and how hard you play them the other big factor is the 15 min wonder tuner you need a tuner who will keep an eye on the action keeping it to its maximum level of playing asa well as up to pitch

When I was compering in the last post I was referring to very heavy use over a long time 8/7 time scale most pianos in homes don't get that level of hard playing.

Enjoy your piano for what it is and don't look for faults beauty is in the ear's of the beholder I have clients who have what I think are awful pianos but they think they are nicer than some of the big grands they have and will continue to have years of enjoyment form their little grand and so will you

enjoy your piano

Regards

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

Just a suggestion, but have you tried a Grotrian as a compromise between top quality and reasonable price?

In Jaques Samuel yesterday, I tried a Kawai or two, including Shigeru models and they were OK, but for nearly 20 thousand pounds I'd want something more.
Also in the shop were various Grotrian-Steinwegs, which are nice but 'slightly' more expensive.
The 192 was 24299 (and the 225 at 29750 was very nice, if you have the space & cash).
They also have Bechsteins which are in a different price league.

I came away feeling the Grotrian is a lot of piano for the money, whatever size.

Andy
PianoFifty
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Buying a Grand

Post by PianoFifty »

Have just bought a Yamaha GC1 which arrived today (2 hours ago!) :D . I tried virtually all of the Yamaha range, but reckoned the GC1 gave best value and suited my budget (6-8k) - if I had had an extra 3 or 4k I would have liked the C3 (the best-selling grand in the world, apparently). The bass on the GC1 is not in the same league as the C3 etc, but the treble and middle register are fantastic in my opinion. I did play a Yamaha G1 at the weekend, which had a better bass, but all the rattles and squeaks you would associate with a well-played ten year old piano. If you can afford it, go for the C3. If not a GC1 is a good compromise.