when to renovate?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

toskeye
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

when to renovate?

Post by toskeye »

I've got a 1910 Bluthner style 6 grand that I've been intending to refinish because the cabinet is a little shabby. The sound is good, I think. The instrument seems to be in good condition. It was apparently a piece of furniture (not played) in a reclusive's house, and after his passing the relatives sold it to the dealer. The tuner said its in good condition and doesn't need renovation. The shop salesman suggested I might change the bass strings (original). One bass string is broken and needs replacement. The Bluthner action is fine and the keys are tight (no side to side movement) but not at all sticky. Just the usual adjustment is needed. The tuner and I have inspected the harp and sound board and all is good.

:? My dilemma is what to renovate. If I send the piano off for refinishing, it might be wise to take advantage of the trip and replace all strings and felts/hammers... what else? Considering its age, the piano may need renovating in the next 10 years in any case. But it seems there is no need to fix what ain't broken, or doesn't seem broken... now.
Any advice?
thanks
Eric
Brian Lawson, RPT
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Brian Lawson, RPT »

Where in Norway are you, I know a couple of piano technicians there who may be able to give you better on the spot information.
Brian Lawson, RPT
Johannesburg
South Africa
http://www.lawsonic.co.za
toskeye
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

locals?

Post by toskeye »

In Bergen I am.

Is it fathomable that a near-100 year old Bluthner piano could not need a full restoration?

Eric
Brian Lawson, RPT
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Brian Lawson, RPT »

Here are two:

BREKNE, RICHARD RPT

Address: 5010 BERGEN, NORWAY
Phone: 47-55-23-2081
Email: rbrekne@broadpark.no
Web: www.pianostemmer.no

JANSEN, NILS HENRIK RPT