Heard of Haegele?

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

toskeye
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Heard of Haegele?

Post by toskeye »

I have found a brilliant sounding :D restored 1955 Haegele 125 upright in a shop. The owner says his grandmother always spoke well of Haegele pianos, along with Grotrian, Steinway, Boosendorfer and Bluthner. Although the piano was restored, the sound board is apparently original, as is the frame and case and action. The sound is tremendous, though! Its volume and richness blows away everything by comparison until you get to a new Yamaha U3.

I can't find much info anywhere about the make. I believe the company got swallowed up into another and is essentially in the lineage of Feurich today. Anyone know anything about Haegele?
thanks,
Eric
Bill Kibby

Haegele

Post by Bill Kibby »

Are you saying this is a 1955 piano? Bit too modern for me! They were established in 1846, and dates of serial numbers are published up to 1960.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
toskeye
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by toskeye »

Thanks, Bill. I said it was 1955, but actually I cannot find the serial number or date. I'm guessing it got rubbed out in the renovation. The Renner action is dated 1955. Was Haegele a respected manufacturer? I know they were small. "too modern", eh? was there any problem in the latter years? Do you know what was the company demise?
thanks
Eric
Bill Kibby

Haegele

Post by Bill Kibby »

Sorry, my active research is directed at earlier british pianos, so anything else that turns up is pot luck, and I have never seen, heard of, or tuned one of these.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info