"Feeling in tune" 50 Years Of Piano Tuning

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Feeling in tune" 50 Years Of Piano Tuning

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Press Release

There cannot be anyone who wouldn't say “I wish I could play the piano”, some learning the conventional way, some playing by ear, but whether professional or amateur, all need their piano to be looked after by a qualified piano tuner.

One can only applaud a really good piano tuner, but one with visual impairment to not only find their way around the instrument’s complex mechanism but also master the trials and tribulations of public transport, deserves a standing ovation.

Qualified and properly trained piano tuners only can be members of the Association of Blind Piano Tuners who this year celebrate their 50th anniversary. Long may this fine
body of members continue to cast aside any physical incapacity and give pianos the
professional care and attention needed so that they produce and indeed “feel in tune.”

Roger Wilson
CEO Bluthner Pianos UK

For details contact :-

Association of Blind Piano Tuners
31 Wyre Crescent
Lynwood
Darwen
Lancashire BB3 0JG
England
Tel: 44+ (0)1254 776148
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Feeling in a tune

Post by Geminoz »

I can recall when I first began learning piano....at age 8, my first encounter with a piano tuner. I was astounded that someone who was blind could tune a piano....My parents explained to me that because he had no sight, his sense of hearing was so much keener, and that the very best piano tuners were blind. This lovely man made his way to our home many times over the years, and each time was an exciting occasion and I would watch, mesmerised as he went about his business. The image of him tuning my piano has stayed with me, as has the knowledge that was instilled in me way, way, way back then, that everyone has a place in life and everyone has value.
This first encounter happened more than 50 years ago so I guess it was before the association was formed.
Congratulations to the members of the Association on 50 years of valuable service to the millions of us who love playing piano.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If anyone else has stories about tuners - the more dim and distant the better! - please contact me via private message or on this thread (if that's all right, Barrie!) as I'm researching the history of the piano tuner in England. Well,someone has to... :shock: A Very Happy Birthday to ABPTA!!!! :!:
Brian Lawson, RPT
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Brian Lawson, RPT »

My congratulations on behalf of the SAAPPT (whose most of its members are also blind).
Brian Lawson, RPT
Johannesburg
South Africa
http://www.lawsonic.co.za
Clavira
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Happy Birthday!

Post by Clavira »

Happy Birthday...got any full time job for piano technician? :oops: :?:
Tomek Skonieczny
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There are a few going

Vale Pianos in the Midlands are looking for one

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Martha
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Martha »

This is off subject just a tad, but I have had many close blind friends for the last 25 years. I have learned so much from the visually handicapped and I know for a fact that for my friends, there is nothing they cannot do and most things they can do better than I can.

My brother has played the piano for 64 years now. He retired to Corvallis, Oregon (USA) 10 years ago where he found the best piano tuner he had ever had. Of course the tuner was blind. :)

50 years, wow, I say Happy Birthday too.

Martha
April 1, 2004, bought 2005 Kawai studio piano, model UST-8. Am having problems with keys. Have questions.
Clavira
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Clavira »

Thank you, Barry.
Vale is located 3 hours drive from my place.
Do you know about anything going on in South East? Kent maybe? Canterbury area :roll: ?
Tomek Skonieczny
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Clavira wrote:Thank you, Barry.
Vale is located 3 hours drive from my place.
Do you know about anything going on in South East? Kent maybe? Canterbury area :roll: ?
Most shops these days only have subcontractors most of the large London shops are normally on the look out for tuners to do shop work but the pay is normally bad to insulting

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Clavira
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Clavira »

Dear Barry,
What is the usual rate per hour for piano technician in London?

thank you
Tomek Skonieczny
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Depends on your experience and most shop employ on a self employed bases I have know tuners work for a little as £60.00 a day in London some shops pay you by the tuning

You have to work it out with the shop if the shop is giving you quite a bit of outside tunings and you get to keep the client then you would give the shop a better rate

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page