Kemble Millenium Quantum

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Tina
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Kemble Millenium Quantum

Post by Tina »

This afternoon I was offered a new (been in the shop a long time) Conran designed Kemble Quantum 131cm upright piano- Millenium edition number 7 of 60 made.Price ?4,500. It sounds good but seems to contain a lot of plastic in the action. Do you have any thoughts about the quality of this piano? Is it a fair price?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Grab it with both hands if it is unused at that price I was after one for one of my clients and was told by Kembles that all were sold no shops had them. or this the one for sale in Sheffield with the badly damaged case.

They are a remarkable piano its a shame they only made 60 of them

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

What sort of piano was it, Barrie? I take it that being Conran it had a fancy case, but what else? I haven't heard of these...no-one tells me nuffin :cry:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The Kemble K131 back is based on it but the action is not the same the Quantum has a sostenuto pedal The Yamaha U5 is close but I would say that the Quantum has a richer bass and the top treble sings the ones I look after are a joy to tune but the Case is a pain to take off

Have you seen the U7 yet Yamaha is bring out a new model at Frankfurt as well

I would not see most of these new ones if I did not do aftercare for shops did a nice new Schimmel grand today all that money and still some of the notes in the top treble were blocking but it was nice to tune

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by fumbler »

Hi,

Barrie (or anyone) can you expand on Tina's comment that the Kemble 'seems to contain a lot of plastic in the action'? Do modern pianos - above the cheap bracket that is - have any plastic in the action? If I could put my hands on a Quantum I would be very dismayed if it had any plastic anywhere.

Regards.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

All piano manufactures have used plastic parts of some sort and I mean all some more than others

The Quantum action uses the same amount of plastic parts as the Yamaha U5

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Tina
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Kemble Millenium Quantum

Post by Tina »

Thanks Barrie. Yes it is the one in Sheffield with the damaged case (3 small chips and a scrape). Is it still worth 'grabbing with both hands' at 4,500? I have played it again today and it is lovely!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

My impression was that it was second hand not new, but it is still a good buy the chips can be fixed see if you can knock them down They have had a few look at it as my mobile has been hot this week about that piano, Which do you like best the Steinway or the Kemble ?

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Tina
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Kemble Millenium Quantum

Post by Tina »

I love the Kemble. It's definately brand new. I'd be interested to know why you think it's been stood around in the shop for so long as it's such a good instrument and what do other people who have looked at it think? Thanks-really grateful for all the advice and follow up comments.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I was told that the pianos was damaged moving it from the house the shop got it from but the info was second hand. One of them loved it but the U5 is more suitable for his needs a busy Music School in Oxford the U5 has a better music desk for teaching and the fall on the Quantum takes a little time to take out and Music School need the tuner in and out as quick as possible
The other feller well…… he was more interested in how much the cost was to fixt the scratches he’s the one that gave me the impression that the case was really bad and was the piano going to be a collectors item in the future ………..

Expensive pianos can and do stay on the shop floor for a few years especially if the shop normally only stock the cheaper end of the piano market I know of a shop that had a C3 grand on the shop floor for 3+ years

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by fumbler »

Hi,

There's at least one internet dealer advertising the Quantum II, at around £4200 (list about £5600). From Kemble's website it looks like the Q1 without the lattice work in the legs (thank goodness). Quite a classic design, I'm very tempted. If it's as good as the Q1 then it's a far better buy than the second-hand Q1.

Anyone have any more info on the Q2?

Rgds.
fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by fumbler »

Sorry for the confusion over the pound sign. The Q2 is being advertised new at 4200 GBP by an internet dealer. List is 5600 GBP new.

Rgds.
Tina
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Kemble Millenium Quantum

Post by Tina »

javascript:emoticon(':lol:')Took delivery today of the Kemble. What a joy to play such a beautiful instrument, I can hardly believe it! It's a pity you can't look after it for me Barrie, but I've got a guy lined up who comes highly recommended-used to do the City Hall pianos apparently. Thanks again for all your advice.
Also thanks to Fumbler for his contributions-hope you find your dream piano soon and thanks to Gill for taking an interest. It's been an interesting life experience buying a piano but one I don't want to repeat in the near future!!
Best wishes.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Enjoy

They are very easy pianos to tune and quite stable as well

As to the QII Not tuned one yet or seen one up close

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by fumbler »

Hi,

I believe the Q2 is based on the K121, unlike the original Quantum which was based on the K131.

Great to hear about your new love, Tina. It's good to hear that the Q1 has an appreciative owner. I'm only a little jealous!

Rgds.