Lighter action

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

pianolad23
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Lighter action

Post by pianolad23 »

Dear All,

I have recently purchased a new palatino upright but im finding the action is very heavy on it which is unabling me to play some pieces very well (i am a grade 7 pianist) is there any way that the action can be made lighter ? also when i have the sustain pedal down and play a chord repetitivly i.e C major (at middle C) it has a horrible bright echoey sound to it which, can this be sorted by voicing the hammers? the piano has quite a bright tone to it anyway.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brian Lawson, RPT
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Brian Lawson, RPT »

The dealer you bought from should be able to send a piano tech to you to sort it out. Maybe just a lack of prepping by the dealer? Do you/are you due to get a free tuning after purchase? ask for it to be sorted out.

Just for example, how does the top octave feel (where there are no dampers) to the rest of the piano - lighter? if so then maybe the timing of the dampers can be adjusted for you. Then there are other wet & dry lubricants for pianos (NOT OIL), which can be used to reduce friction - making it lighter.

Hope this is of help.
:)
Brian Lawson, RPT
Johannesburg
South Africa
http://www.lawsonic.co.za