YAMAHA "C" & "S" grands

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Steve071261
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

YAMAHA "C" & "S" grands

Post by Steve071261 »

Hi,

does anybody have any views or opinions on whether the Yamaha "S" series grands are significantly better than the "C" series.

Assuming the "S" series being handmade are better, which is more important, size, or quality? For example, assuming an S4 (6'3") would be a significantly better piano than a C3 (6'1") would it still be a better buy than the larger a C5 (6"8") or even C7 (6'11")?

As an ordinary (grade 8, but not in regular practice) pianist, would I honestly notice the difference?

Thanks,

cheers,

Steve
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You would have to get the C7 comes close to the S4 for tone but the S4 will still beat it on touch

As to telling the difference you only have to run up the scale and you can tell the action is so smooth

You need to sit at one and play shops that stock them will have the other grands as well

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Steve071261
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Steve071261 »

Thanks Barrie.

I've not come across any "S" Yamahas in the shops I've visited yet, in and around Manchester. Everything I've seen has been C2, C3, C5, hence why I asked the question.

I quite like the C3, but it doesn't compare to my teacher's Steinway "O".

Not that I expected it to, of course, but if the S4 got a little closer, then I'd definitely be interested.

cheers,

Steve
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

When the S series came out S&S were a little surprised
at the quality

Music Box in Manchester had some but they got snapped up at Xmas he is selling them for 19,319.00

I think he is waiting for some more

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Steve071261
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Steve071261 »

That's a pretty good price. I haven't yet visited him, but he's definitely on my list...

thanks,

Steve
charles hallows

Post by charles hallows »

I've played and tuned many different yamaha grands and the recent handbuilt s range is definately better than the conservatory c range grands. It is a shame though that there is just 2 sizes s4a and s6a. i think they perform as good as a new steinway, if not better. some of them are a little too soft though - possibly because the technicians in the factory are too aware of the 'out of date' reputation of being too bright! it is important that such a good instrument with improved depth and range over the c series is not too soft in tone, because there is so much to enjoy in the broad sound.

a decent technician (not tuner) can make sure the piano sounds at its best - some dealers don't have proper technicians on site, and if i was not a technician myself, then i would have thought that these instruments were not so good. several dealers have offered big discounts but the pianos don't sound anything like they could. I think all yamaha's are superb for the money, and the s series grands are well underpriced compared to other pianos of equivalent standard. i was most impressed with an S6A (6'11" - equivalent to a steinway 'b') at Chris Venables in Hampshire. A client of mine bought it at £21,500 and they prepared it so well. I think they are supposed to cost £32-£33k. But they are used to dealing in that standard of piano as they used to be Steinway distributors.
Piano Enthusiast, Player, Tuner and Technician.