Humidity regulation in upright piano?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

daxliniere

Humidity regulation in upright piano?

Post by daxliniere »

Hello everyone, this is my first post here in the forum.
I recently acquired a Finnish-made Fazer upright piano from 1985. (The low-end on this thing is GORGEOUS!) Though I'm an engineer and record producer, this is my first accoustic piano.

As an an avid maker (woodwork, metal fabrication & machining, etc), I'm taking on the task of getting this piano into tip-top shape on my own. To this end, I'm likely to have a couple questions along the way, though I have already fixed sticking keys, new celeste felt, a jack not firing, various 'clacks' due to damaged felts and a pitch raise.

Though this is not an historic piano worth tens of thousands of Pounds, I'd still like to do my best to keep it in good condition as long as possible. I was wondering if there is much point in installing a hygrometer and some kind of humidity-regulating device.

Would love the thoughts of a few piano professionals on this.

Thank you in advance,
Dax.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Humidity regulation in upright piano?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Before you go down the expense of humidity control systems, I will check the room's humidity first.

The sticky notes you had may have come from its previous environment.

You said you had someone clicking sounds from wearing of the felt from the pitch move is this felt behind the jacks if so, that's the first indication of months

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page