Piano Hammers - Brinsmead

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

slater

Piano Hammers - Brinsmead

Post by slater »

Hi all,

I've been having a good look at the action in my old Brinsmead before having it tuned.
The top dozen or so hammers are worn through to the timber so I'm thinking of replacing them. I thought that I might do this myself so obtained some new hammers and have since found a couple of problems.

Firstly the new hammers are of Japanese origin - and are fairly long (compared to those on the piano now). Probably at least 3/8 inch from the hammer head to the shaft.

After reading a little on hammers I've found that the recommended distance from the hammer to the strings is in the order of 1.75 to 1.87 inches. However in my piano they are 2.16 inches. Is this a problem?

If I was to use longer hammers it appears to be an easy fix to shorten this distance up. The drawback I see is that the angle that the hammer hits the string at will be different than it is now. (Assuming that the hammers are drilled so they are perpendicular to the shafts) Perhaps the hammers should be drilled a little differently?

I now think that the best thing would be to replace all of the hammers.

Further, as my piano does not have stickers in the action it is what some might discribe as a studio upright - so I understand that the appropriate weighted hammers would be 12 or 13 lb?

Many thanks and Happy Christmas
Geoff
Aussie Brinsmead
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Piano Hammers - Brinsmead

Post by Barrie Heaton »

slater wrote:Hi all,

I've been having a good look at the action in my old Brinsmead before having it tuned.
The top dozen or so hammers are worn through to the timber so I'm thinking of replacing them. I thought that I might do this myself so obtained some new hammers and have since found a couple of problems.

Firstly the new hammers are of Japanese origin - and are fairly long (compared to those on the piano now). Probably at least 3/8 inch from the hammer head to the shaft.
Sound like they sent you standard bore you may need to fill in the hols and re drill

Can we work in millimetres, what is the distance from the nose of the hammer to the centre of the shank hole in the base and treble and the same measurement for the old hammers.

slater wrote:
After reading a little on hammers I've found that the recommended distance from the hammer to the strings is in the order of 1.75 to 1.87 inches. However in my piano they are 2.16 inches. Is this a problem?
The Blow distance is in the range 45mm to 50mm with your action being old it will have been refaced a few times and the hammer rest will have compacted it will have been between 45mm 47mm
slater wrote: If I was to use longer hammers it appears to be an easy fix to shorten this distance up. The drawback I see is that the angle that the hammer hits the string at will be different than it is now. (Assuming that the hammers are drilled so they are perpendicular to the shafts) Perhaps the hammers should be drilled a little differently?

We allow 5 mm for wear the new heads are not going to be a perfect match even if the bore is correct so we have to compromise that is in your favour

The head should be a the same angle as the old ones at the strike point so you may have to dip the head to get the correct arch and strike point

slater wrote: I now think that the best thing would be to replace all of the hammers.
Yes but you will have fun in the bass
slater wrote: Further, as my piano does not have stickers in the action it is what some might discribe as a studio upright - so
????????
slater wrote: I understand that the appropriate weighted hammers would be 12 or 13 lb?

Many thanks and Happy Christmas
Geoff
Not relay Brinsmead used a light hammer around 9LBS so the heaver hammer will cause some regulating problems Inertia. Not as much as it would have with a grand.

There is one solution to your problem depending where you got them form, see if you can send them back and ask if you can have your hammers recovered ABLE in Germany do a great Job, you are looking at 250.00 pounds trade price you may get stung more you would have to send the complete set of hammers off However, there may be some one in Australia who recovers hammers

Have a nice Xmas

Regards

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page