HELP. Move Baby Grand to another room. New Carpets on Wed!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Lorna L

HELP. Move Baby Grand to another room. New Carpets on Wed!

Post by Lorna L »

Advice on moving a Baby Grand through a standard door frame please.

My Baby Grand Piano needs to be moved from the lounge to our dining room when the carpets are fitted in the lounge on Wednesday. It came into the house through double doors. The room we want to move it to is an interior single doorframe. How do we get it safely on its side? Which side should be up? I know I will have to get the legs off! Does anyone have any advice other than get a professional to do it. If that is the best option we are in Southport, North West, does anyone know a man (or two or three) who can?

PS My husband is sure we can do it ourselves! Please confirm his behaviour isn't madness.
Thanks
Lorna[/b]
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

move baby grand

Post by Geminoz »

Hi Lorna
Is your husband looking forward to spending christmas in pain from wrecking his back or even worse....wrecking the piano??? :roll:
Unless you have the right equipment I wouldn't attempt to move even an upright if it had to be turned on its side....let alone a baby grand.
my humble opinion for what it's worth....get the professionals in.
Lorna L

Hubby looking forward to a Christmas Break

Post by Lorna L »

I agree, Hubby looking forward to a Christmas Break, probably in more ways than one!

Does anyone know of a company who would do the job. Local to Southport, North West. UK. We moved here from the South with removal company from Hampshire, so I don't suppose they want to do a 550 mile round trip to move it 5 foot.

Thanks in advance
Lorna
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Geminoz is giveing you good advise moving a grand is more complex than moving an upright

It will cost you around 70 quid for a local move so an in house move should be cheaper the problem is wrong time of year most of the pianos movers are up to the ears moving pianos for shops

Since you are in Southport you could ask Rimmers falling that we have a list of piano movers on the site
http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-movers/north-england.html

I would avoid the house movers most don’t have the correct kit to move a grand Music Box
http://www.pianoplus.co.uk/piano-removals/index.html

are often in your area moving pianos

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page