buying a second hand piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Danielle
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

buying a second hand piano

Post by Danielle »

What do I tell my pupils to look for when buying a second hand piano?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The same you would tell some one who is buying a car for the first time and know nothing about them

See the FAQ

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/forum-8.html

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Danielle
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Danielle »

That doesn't really tell me much in short though does it...I'm talking about the things they should look for to make sure it's working correctly etc.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

We did not read the FAQ did we……

However, if you were buying a car you would take some who can drive it to test it and you would get a mechanic to look at it If you are spending a lot of money.

The same goes for pianos take some who can play it if it fits in to your budget you like the tone and the colour, then get a tuner to look at it. There are many things that can go wrong in a piano, just to give you two.
  • Lose tuning pins very common on old pianos
    Spilt bridges at the treble brake
How are they going to check for them the first you need tools the second you need to take out the action

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Danielle
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Danielle »

I did read the FAQ and as I said it doesn't tell me anything in short. I have recently discussed this question with someone else and have been given a clearer answer. I don't want my pupils to go out buying pianos and THEN get them checked out after they have paid for it. I have been told that you should look for pianos that are over strung, with an iron frame, listen for an even tone and test all the notes to make sure they don't stick and also check the strings aren't rusty. So, there seems little point in my pupil's parents buying a second hand piano only to find they have to spend a lot of money doing it up again. I don't have time to go and look at every single piano with my pupils, I need to give them advice in what to look for in a piano so they can find the best deal.