Pianos for small hands - from an old beginner

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

But the more you play, the looser (and wider) your hand will become. It'd be like me going to the gym (HAH!!!!) and saying I can't run on the treadmill at 5mph, when I haven't been to the gym since Adam were a lad. I can't do it because I DON'T do it. However, practice makes...better! Stick with it, and do proper exercises that classical musicians do to gain flexibility, but do them a little at a time, without forcing anything. Ever thought of having a couple of lessons? A teacher might be able to give you some pointers for you to use in conjunction with your course. Not all hand problems originate in the hand; it could be your shoulders or back or even your sitting position could do with being looked at.Good luck!
ticktock19852004
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by ticktock19852004 »

Hello!

I have been playing for 16 years. Yet, i still have the same problem (not being able to reach all keys in a chord). If i'm playing a chord with a 7th i usually have to just leave the 7th out and play the basic chord. Most of the time this does not affect the sound of the music greatly. I hate to give this kind of advice (i'm sure most piano teachers are fainting now) but as you play more often you will figure out the necessary shortcuts to play your music to best you can. Im not saying that finger and hand excersices don't work. They will improve your flexibility depending on your physical condition
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

My fingers will stretch to an octave +2 (just), but I wouldn't want to do it too often.
My former teacher would no doubt wrap my knuckles soundly, but I agree with tick tock up to a point,....if you are just playing for your own enjoyment, you will find many short cuts that will make your playing a lot less stressful and more fun. :)
It's a safe bet that your family and friends will not be able to tell the difference (unless they are musicians, of course) :wink:
But I have to say tick tock that 7th chords add a wonderful sound,leading beautifully to the next note.
If you are going to leave a note out of the 7th, try leaving the bottom note out.
You could also try opening the chords (i.e. playing the notes individually).
Or....here's a thought....play the written music on both staves...and forget the chords.