Cleaning the Ivories

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

courtesy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Cleaning the Ivories

Post by courtesy »

I bought a second hand piano and although its a bit shabby on the outside (lots of mug and tea-cup rings on the top) it plays quite well and I like the sound of it. (In fact I was at a concert the other day and thought the upright piano being used quite metallic and find some pianos I hear on the radio, ie Classic FM, quite metallic too).

Anyway, I cleaned the ivories and (what I think) are painted wood black keys (not made of ebony) using, as suggested, lukewarm water with a mild solution of soap - the cloth was damp not ringing wet. (I made sure I dried the ivories straight away as I know they don't like water.)

However, although they are definitely cleaner I've noticed some little spots on them - not sure if it is old candle grease or drops of tea (no doubt from the same tea rings that mark the top of the piano).

What can I use to shift these marks from the ivories which won't damage the actual ivories themselves? (Also is it possible to bleach the ivories without actually damaging them?)
Courtesy costs little and is worth a lot!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cleaning the Ivories

Post by Barrie Heaton »

courtesy wrote: What can I use to shift these marks from the ivories which won't damage the actual ivories themselves? (Also is it possible to bleach the ivories without actually damaging them?)
See
http://www.acrylikey.co.uk/bleaching_ivory.html
read my notes at the bottom of the page

Or you can use 300g wet and dry wet but only slightly wet this will take out the marks but don’t sand all the ivory away

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page