Dear Doctor, Can my ailments be fixed?, Yours, Tired Challen

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Yetty
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Dear Doctor, Can my ailments be fixed?, Yours, Tired Challen

Post by Yetty »

It’s time that my well used 1930’s baby Challen receives a tune. Fortunately I’ve identified the tuner / technician who tunes the pianos at the local classical concert venue on the Suffolk coast. I hope he will visit soon. A couple of quick questions:

1) When played softly and whilst held, one of the middle notes makes an annoying second strike after about a second. Is there any specific work I could ask the tuner to do to remedy the problem?

2) Some of my piano keys are difficult to play softly as they do not strike evenly to equal touch. I suspect this is wear and tear. Are there of any ‘quick wins’ I can ask for with regard to give some improvement, or do these not exist?

:)

There are four boxes to be used in defence of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order - Ed Howdershelt
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The first problem sound like lost motion and if it is the second problem will also improve with regulating - sound like your piano is in need of a good service as well as a tuning

Most worn grand’s if you are not replacing parts take about 3 - 4 hours to regulate if all goes well

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Yetty
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Yetty »

Barry, thanks, your comments provide much needed guidence!

Does regulation normally take place at the customers home?

I shall now have a 'surf' to better understand what regulation consists of, and how the benefits might be felt when playing.

Has anyone on the forum had their 'well used' piano regulated that resulted in particularly noticable improvements, or otherwise?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

See the FAQ on regulating
http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/piano835.html

Yes it is done on site on most pianos regulating when done correct can make a world of a difference
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page