Chorusing & phazing on chords & single note strike

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

keestroke
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Chorusing & phazing on chords & single note strike

Post by keestroke »

What is the usual cause of this and how do you fix it.
When i strike a chord on my piano in the middle C region spanning 2-2.5 octaves, I get a phasing chorusing kind of chord.

Some notes don't sound as full and even as other notes on a single note strike.

Are these problems that can be fixed or is it not worth fixing. How much would fixing a problem like this usually cost and what causes this to occur.

Is it a common problem in pianos 5-10 years old?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

It's a common problem in pianos which are out of tune! When was it last tuned? They should be done every six months at least.
keestroke
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by keestroke »

Well it has just been tuned but atleast now, it sounds like chords and notes that sound chorusy and phasey but in tune.

What else could it be.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Any chance of a recording

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bill Kibby

Phasing etc.

Post by Bill Kibby »

These are really questions to ask your tuner when he or she is there on the spot to deal with it. I presume you are comparing to electronic effects when you refer to chorus and phasing, but such effects are produced by, in effect, detuning. One single visit from the tuner cannot put right years of neglect. Of course, the obvious could be overlooked here, and any instrument producing notes will have beats (heterodyning) when the frequencies of the harmonics of different notes interact, that is true of any instrument. Then again, perhaps you have a bad tuner, and here in East Anglia, there are far too many unqualified amateurs calling themselves tuners, as there always have been.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info