Selling piano, haven't a clue!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Venise

Selling piano, haven't a clue!

Post by Venise »

I bought a Browne piano from a second hand place but when looked at by a friend who used to be a tuner, he said it would cost "a few hundred" to get it sorted out. It has problems with hammers sticking and a permanent echo and no-one plays it and I can't afford that sort of money to sort it out. :roll:

My friend said it's cross stringed which he said was good. Should I be practically giving it away as it needs "a few hundred" spending on it or could it be worth a bit as it stands (and have a smaller amount spending? :?: ). It looks in reasonable condition, how do I find out the age or about it?

Thanks. :D
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Its hard to comment on a piano you have not seen However, going off the name its not worth spending money on even a shop would probably turn it down even it was for free as the cost compared to the price of new ones its just no longer viable to restore old upright pianos with no pedigree unless they have a very attractive case

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If you're desperate to play it, and it's an overdamper action, then the dampers can be bent closer to the strings, (or perhaps the action isn't seated right; get your mate to check) and the notes may not hang on so much. If it's a write-off, then you've nothing to lose by using the dreaded WD40 on the action to free the sticking notes - as long as you realise all these are quick fixes and yer average tuner would rather die than admit these things can be done! Agreed, to fix it properly would cost a few hundred, and it would not be economically viable to do so, but to make do for now you could probably get it going as outlined above.
Venise

Post by Venise »

Thanks for your replies, I'm going to try to sell it because I saw one the other day which sounded in tune and playable but haven't got room for two pianos! My daughter wanted piano lessons and still does so getting one that's ready to play will get her going. Thanks again. :D