Papps Wedges...

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Gill the Piano

Papps Wedges...

Post by Gill the Piano »

Right, you erudite lot; my friend and I BOTH LOATHE those horrible blue papps wedges and we want to know if the old white nylon ones are available anywhere. The blue ones are too fat and the pin works its way loose in no time at all. :evil: My mate Martin is an ex Steinway bod so has a fit of the vapours having to tune uprights anyway, and the nasty blue wedges are pushing him closer to the edge... Any help gratefully received! :)
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

I think those no-hopers at Fletcher's have the sole rights to make them.

I'd suggest calling them up and complaining. I only ever had one blue one and you're right, the pin dropped out within a year, but I've got a small stock of old nylon ones to tide me over for a while....
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I stockpiled NINETEEN PAIRS of the nylon ones when I found out they were going to stop making them and then some little *%$! stole my toolcase from my Morris Minor. And by the time I got the insurance cheque through, in that split second, they'd gone over to manky blue wedges. Grrrrr....
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

:oops: :? :?: ..think that says it all. I know nothing about anything that goes on inside a piano, but would grateful to learn something new today :wink:
And Gill, I hope whoever stole your toolbox gave themselves a nasty injury and broke all of their strings if they tried to tune their own piano. :evil:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

The sort of knuckledragger who steals from defenceless Morris Minors wouldn't have the brain to play a piano.
And if we told you what papps wedges were we'd have to kill you...nah, they're the plasticky clothes-peg type things wot the tuner pokes between the strings to shut up the ones s/he doesn't want to listen to. Stop me if I'm getting too technical... :wink:
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Now that's the kind of technical jargon I can relate to :wink: . Thanks Gill :D
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Papps Wedges...

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill Green wrote:Right, you erudite lot; my friend and I BOTH LOATHE those horrible blue papps wedges and we want to know if the old white nylon ones are available anywhere. The blue ones are too fat and the pin works its way loose in no time at all. :evil: My mate Martin is an ex Steinway bod so has a fit of the vapours having to tune uprights anyway, and the nasty blue wedges are pushing him closer to the edge... Any help gratefully received! :)
Wait till you get the new ones the plastic is too soft and they bend I get though about 3 a year (lots of piano with rusty string its grim up north) I thing pink or yellow would have been better so you can find them when you drop them in the action as well

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I'm seriously considering tracking down 2 pianolas I tuned over 20 years ago when I first started; I dropped wedges into them and decided to leave 'em in there rather than get embroiled in major surgery to remove them. Now I think it might be worth it! I've been really lucky, though, because a new client asked me to stop the dreadful rattle on her Bentley upright. And guess what was causing it? An old pair of WHITE wedges...hooray! :wink:
Technician Dave

papps wedges

Post by Technician Dave »

Papps wedges!!!!!!!!! I believe that the original nylon became very expensive and the latest new plastic is cheaper. The other supply house in the UK has stopped selling them due to the poor quality.
I will keep an eye out for the original ones on my travels and let you know.
F&N owns the moulds and rights so unless pressure is put on them to upgrade the plastic they will not change.
Make them out of felt I say.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...or chocolate; I might not mind so much when they fell apart then, because at least I'd know what to do with the bits...
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There was an error in the process the wrong nylon was used in the second batch they started to go soft after time again error in the proces. Fletcher have now sorted out the problem and have thankfully gone back to the ivory colour as well, if you have any paps wedges not used send them back and they will replace them they just replaced 5 for me no charge

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! :lol: O, the power of the UK piano page...
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill the Piano wrote:YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! :lol: O, the power of the UK piano page...
Not really...... :) they have been aware of the problem for some time and have been trying to sort out the problem, I use one of the new one today and can confirm they have sorted it out well the wedges are nice and firm only time will tell if they stay that way

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page