Looking for an experienced pianist!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

nikolas
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Looking for an experienced pianist!

Post by nikolas »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this post. If it is not and should be in another forum please excuse me.

Ok.

Hi. My name is Nikolas Sideris and I'm doing a PhD in composition in Royal Holloway, University of London. I have written a piece for solo piano (14 pages, 8'30") and I would like to get it recorded. Although I do play the piano, I don't have the time to study it. I don't have a specific deadline for the recording, but I would like to record it as soon aspossible, as I'm being anxious. All travleing/recording expenses will be met by me, of course. SMALL EDIT: And there will be a fee involved. A low fee, probably, but never the less a fee. I wouldn't even begin to imagine you spending time in studying a piece and not getting something in return. But this fee is something to be agreed on later...

The piece is technically very demanding so the pianist must have at least Grade 8 (maybe even more than that... dunno). It reminds me of Prokofievs work for solo piano and specifically the tocatta op.11.

If anyone is up for the challenge, contact me by PM or by e-mail at nikolasideris AT hotmail DOT com. I have a pdf file with the score and I can send it through the internet. On contacting me, I would appreciate a small (tiny) info about yourself, and maybe some info on what is the most difficult piece you have ever performed, would be helpfull.

Nikolas Sideris
scottjr
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

pianist

Post by scottjr »

You should have used Sibelius Software to produce the composition. You then could have had a computer with midi input and sound card play it for you. My son has used this technique in his composition
James
nikolas
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by nikolas »

Ok. I did use computer for the score (since I have a pdf file, I must've created this somehow...)

And for the record: I did export the midi file from Finale (a simmilar program with Sibelius for those of you that don't know), then imported it to Cubase and with the aid of GigaSampler and GigaPiano I made a recording. And actually it is a rather good production. Cleverly designed to sound as real as possible.

Still I'm not satisfied, because although I put in around 40 hours of production work in the recording process it can never be as real as the real thing.

And since I'm trying to do my best, a live recording with a good decent pianist would be the best thing.

But since the discussion brought it here is a zipped folder with the score and the MP3 file (in somewhat poor quality), so you can all see what I'm talking about.

You can find it in this link:
http://rapidshare.de/files/8945385/perniciosus.zip.html

Note that when you go to that page, you have to scroll down, click on FREE, wait 20 secs and then download the zipped folder. Unfortunately I don't have my own webspace and I'm forced to use free webspace. At least this site does not have any adult adds or anything like that.

And since you will be able to hear the MP3 a little critique on the quality of the recording would be nice (on aspect as to if it sounds real, or if you actually like the sound of GigaPiano).

If you feel that this recording is good and sounds real I might stop looking for a pianist.

Where you can help:

1. If you're pianist and would like to do the recording yourselfs.
2. If you know someone who might be interested.
3. If this is the wrong place to ask for this kind of thing, direct me to a place where I can find performers.

Note on 3: I have placed an add on my University and even thought about SPNM Forums, but these forums a little too quiet...

Any help and critisism appreciated.

Nikolas
scottjr
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

pianist

Post by scottjr »

I am listening to your piece now. You obviously are very talented and critical if you want a better rendition than the finale / mp3 playback on Windows MediaPlayer.
We cannot help regarding a suitable pianist. Could you try the RCM or RAM?
I bought Finale for my son 10 or so years ago and then when he went to a boarding school had to buy Sibelius for an Acorn Risc PC. When Acorn folded we bought Sibelius which my son says is better than Finale. My son is in to more traditional music. see www.scottjr.plus.com.
Best wishes
James
nikolas
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by nikolas »

Actually this is a good idea.

I never thought of approaching other universities/conservatories. Especially RAM and RCM are both excellent choices!

Thank you for that. And thanks for listening to my music, and the kidn words.

I actually find Finale more to my taste. I think it has to do with tradition/country you live in/university. In Greece (I'm from there), I used Finale all the time. Here in London, everybody uses Sibelius. The same with sequencing programms. I learned to use Cubase (actually Nuendo...) but here everybody is in favour of Logic, which I had never heard of last year..

Anyway again thank you.

Nikolas
scottjr
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Pianist wanted

Post by scottjr »

I made an error on the websit. It should be www.scottjr.plus.com
This will lead you to my son's music - very different from yours.
James