Archibald Ramsden

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Maff
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Archibald Ramsden

Post by Maff »

Hi,

Just out of interest, my first piano was a straight strung, over damper piano by Archibald Ramsden, I think I remember that it said London and Darlington on the label. It was a Wallnut case with Candle holders and very fancy engraving of an urn with plants growing out of it.

Althought the piano looked nice it played terribly and seemed to have had a hard life. The felt had rotted and the strings kept snapping.

Since selling the piano on I have never seen or heard of another piano of the same make. Does anyone know anything generally about Archibald Ramsden? :shock: 8)

Regards

Matthew :D
Bill Kibby

Ramsden

Post by Bill Kibby »

A century ago, Ramsden was one of the biggest piano retailers in the country, but I have no evidence that he made any of the pianos to which he applied his name. See the announcement above your posting.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Maff
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Maff »

Thanks.

I've searched the site.

Just for info, at the time I could find no other marks on the piano anywhere except those of Archibald Ramsden on the keyboard lid.
Bill Kibby

Ramsden

Post by Bill Kibby »

The very first item on this forum deals with the impossibilty of valuation. I can quote for printing information about Ramsden, but I can't afford to give away my life's work for nothing on the net. If you have logged in, press the link below.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info