Bechendorfer XG148S Grand Piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Timothy2005
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Bechendorfer XG148S Grand Piano

Post by Timothy2005 »

Alas Not Bosendorfer... I wish...

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Bechendorfer XG148S Grand Piano. I think it's the only grand they do. I’m considering buying it new for my 11-year-old whos doing his grades(5 at present, beats me anytime). I’m a little lost in the fog. Could I expect this would see him to grade 8 plus a little more if he goes further. Would I be hindering or helping him?!

I have also thought about a Kawai GM10 and Yamaha G2 or C1 and possibly the Yamaha U3 upright.

Any thoughts would be welcome… be brutal……
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Ha ha ha!

Buy that secondhand Kawai or Yamaha...

You'd be far better off with a U3.
Timothy2005
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re Yamaha G3,C3,CL3 from one confusted cookie!

Post by Timothy2005 »

Thanks PG, your right... You gets what yah pay for!

I would really like my son to have a Grand Piano if I can stretch to it. His Tutor is now suggesting a Yamaha CL3... although a U3 would be ok. Budget keeps going up and now thinking about financing a new CL3 or getting a secondhand C3 which seems more inline my budget.

Will be posting antoher question about difference between on older G3 for 6,500 ive seen rather than the new CL3. Ive found a second hand C3 (2002) for 8k. Do you by chance know anything about the difference on the G3, C3 CL3. Is there anything specific to these models to watch out for? My sons Tutor said the older 6ft Yahamas were not so great.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Don't think there's a CL3. You may be confusing it with the latest series designation of the C3, the C3-L. The C3 is a superb 6 footish grand and would be my first choice. There is a simplified C3 called a C3-Studio which has some intelligent compromises to reduce the price.

The G3 was a cheaper 6 foot grand which in the UK ran concurently with the C3 for many years until it was axed here. It had cheapened casework and the frame was almost Bechstein inspired rather than the C3 which has obvious Steinway leanings with its duplex scale. Then again, G3s for the Japanese home market had duplexing, so were a different beast to the ones sold here. I've just tuned a '90s imported G3 and found it to be an absolutely gorgeous piano, so try and play a few.

A 2002 C3 for 8K sounds OK, especially if it's a genuine UK market one. Less desirable (but often still good) imported grands for the Japanese market are easily identifiable by a little plastic bracket on the inside of the case (usually along the flat side) where the tuning record card should be kept.

I've never thought that there was a problem with older Yamahas other than the obvious problems associated with the fact that they're not new! Certainly not much wrong with the design or build quality, but there's a lot of high-milage crap around. Your son's tutor has probably seen an old clunker somewhere that's clouded his judgement.
Timothy2005
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

The fog seems to be clearing!

Post by Timothy2005 »

This is invaluable stuff. Many thanks PG.

I looked into the C3 Studio, but don’t think it is available new in the UK. To be honest I would rather not compromise on a grand piano. I feel that if I am to go the grand piano route rather than a U3 then I might as well go full hog and get a new C3-L (thanks for the correction).

What a dilemma! But, the fog is clearing… My thoughts thus far… No to imports…It is either a new U3 (possibly U5) or new C3-L. If I go for anything above 5-6k then I would prefer to finance part of it. Therefore a C2 is not really an option as I might as well raise a little bit more on finance to go for a new C3-L or good second-hand C3. I think a good second-hand C3/G3 may be hard to find and time consuming, especially when you take the case of a 2002 C3 at 8k versus a new C3-L at a starting discounted price of 10.9k (www.chrisvenables.co.uk) It’s a choice of finance 2-3k or 5-6k.

The second-hand market seems full of pitfalls unless one really knows how to spot the rogue, knows what to look for or has a technician at hand. I’ve been through local piano restorer and ebay route, but it seems too much of a minefield. However, I suspect a good deal can be had if one really knows what one is doing…. Unfortunately, I don’t…

Anyway back to relevancy or may be not. I have this nagging thought that a C3-L will be a better learning experience for my son. I like the idea of him at his age (11), trying to master this beast of an instrument (C3-L). That somehow he will find it easier to appreciate the subtleness of tone and nurture expression to a finer degree. I am a hopeful romantic really, but can admit to being a fool that doesn’t have a clue…

On the other hand I could get the new U3 without finance. They seem to hold value well, so an upgrade when my son is older may be the route… Indeed it may be more sensible as he would be in a better position to choose the piano he prefers. But I am unsure of the subtleties of touch regarding U3 v C3-L and more so what effect (If any) it may have on his learning. Tone, base etc I can appreciate, but I have a feeling I am being completely paranoid considering the models I am looking at.

ChrisWenables have offered to voice a couple of U3’s and a couple of C3-L’s to display how the same model can differ. In short PG, I think my next move is to spend a few hours annoying the hell out of a salesman whilst test driving a few U3’s & C3-L’s with my son. The trouble is that I am a sucker for anything nice. I must remind myself not to get carried away, to leave my chequebook at home, to deliberate and then go back with a decision... or simply to remember to take my wife!…. Sorry ladies, if you’re reading!

If possible and your time permits, any thoughts would be welcome and appreciated. Specifically relating to the learning experience issue that keeps nagging at me and the comparison between U3 and C3-L for a young impressionable student with great potential. In your judgment is there any benefit in going for the U5 instead of the U3, especially considering that it is likely to be sold within 3 to 4 years if I went down the upright route.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Go for the U3 if you intend selling soon.

The U5 is a less popular model and residuals are poorer. It's only a contender if it's discounted to within a whisker of a U3 anyway, and it's very ugly.
Timothy2005
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Nearly there

Post by Timothy2005 »

U3 or C3 is all I think I need to make a decision on now. I’ve posted another question about learning experience on grand or upright as I learnt as an adult, self taught on an old wreck! Sort of explains my level of playing really!

This is the first time I’ve used a forum for info... Once again PG; Many thanks you've helped me a lot.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Nearly there

Post by PianoGuy »

Timothy2005 wrote:U3 or C3 is all I think I need to make a decision on now.
You'll be buying the best piano at the price point in either case.

I'd be happy with either, and I'm a hard to please cynic as you may have guessed!

Try and buy a destined-for-UK model for residuals alone unless you really can't afford it. As I have said, some of the grey imports are great, but they'll never be worth as much. Ever tried selling a Mazda Eunos? looks and drives just like an MX5, but worth about half. You get the picture by now I'm sure!! ;-)

P.Guy
Timothy2005
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Timothy2005 »

Spot On PG.... I’ve had a Eunos sitting in the garage for the last 2 years! Haven’t tried selling it yet though! My wife bought it 7 years ago. Absolutely brilliant car, but she now has an MX5 Nevada UK model.... Suffered from the ‘Oh dear Madam is it an import’ when insuring or getting spare parts. But must say, I’ve hardly ever needed any parts and drives the same as a UK model… I’m just about to advertise it to help pay for the piano! So, if anyone reading is looking for a well maintained Eunos Roadster, let me know!… :wink:

Back to biz… I’ve lined up a good range of pianos for my son to try over the weekend. Personally, I’m edging towards a new U3 or a recent second-hand UK one. I think it is sensible, considering his age and finances. I know how personal choosing a piano is and this will also give him a better opportunity to choose his own grand piano in a few years, assuming he’s not just into girls, xbox, texting and bling... Bless him.. Also gives him something to work for…

I’ve seen quite a few second-hand U3 imports advertised. I spoke to one (clueless) chap who has 6 on offer. Seems to be an influx of them (U3’s I mean) with guys looking to make a quick buck at the expense of the quality dealer that offers value for money… Quite low prices though, but then so was my Eunos with no service history and a limited warranty… It basically had to "Spontaneously Combust" for the warranty to be worth a damn. :lol: Maybe I’m just cynical… :wink:

I don’t really understand why when buying a second-hand U3 it is suggested to look at serial numbers above 4 million. Is there also the same sort of thing with the C3? Can you help me on this or point me in the right direction? Many thanks... Tim

Is it PG.. Pee Gee.. P.Guy?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Hi Tim,

The 4 million thing is simply an age and residuals thing. It means that it's under 20 yrs old (4 mil was 1986) and the quality was very good by that time. 5 mil is even better.

Think Golf GTi Mk2. A 'big bumper' from '90 is worth more than a 'standard bumper' from '89.... but they're essentially the same.

Good luck with the Eunos. I'd be tempted if I hadn't just shelled out on an old fashioned British 2-seater!

Guy
Timothy2005
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Yamaha C3 & Ringing on one note

Post by Timothy2005 »

Hi Guy… Im nearly there…. Still got the Eunos though! :wink:

I’ve just been to look at a Yamaha C3 and something is nagging me. I think it is minor and nothing that a good tuner can’t cure, but nevertheless it’s nagging.

There is a noticeable buzz, more of a twang/ringing on one note when the soft pedal is pressed. The G above middle C. All other notes are fine. It has very mildly rusted treble strings and the room was quite cold and felt a little damp. I have read that the ringing could be caused by the damper felts being hard or crusty from being wet or very damp. But I am no expert. Also there was a dull clunk that could be heard on the soft pedal action. I assume this is a minor adjustment, but thought worth mentioning in relation to the ringing only accruing when the soft pedal is pressed.

The casework is immaculate, not a scratch. Its serial number is above 3mil and a UK model as far as I can tell and in accordance to owner’s history/storey.

It seems to have been played very little, hammers hardly indented. Plus hasn’t been used for some time as children have grown up and fled the nest.

Any thoughts…

Cheers
Tim

PS. What 2 seater do you have?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Hmmmmm...

Could be OK, how much are they asking?

(a concours Spit IV with the black dash!)
Timothy2005
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Timothy2005 »

Hi Guy

Funny thing… Know’s you get what you pay for. Ł4.5k which makes me suspicious. It’s a reasonable price, with explainable reason. :|

The vendor was considering putting in for auction but by the time they paid Bonham’s fees would only set to realise 5k maybe 5.5k which meant a buyer would need to pay lot more. Done the figures according to Bohnams and 7k to buyer at auction would mean 4.7k to vendor by the time you take into account buyers and vendor premiums, insurance and VAT. Chap has exchanged and moving home. Story works out, but still..

Also the serial number begins with a D, do you know what that’s about.

Triumph yeh? What’s with the black dash?.. Did you do the restoration

Tim

Ps. The piano has been located in a bay window and as far as I can gather been there for some time. No dinks, dents to the contrary. Dont know whether that helps
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Timothy2005 wrote:Hi Guy

Funny thing… Know’s you get what you pay for. Ł4.5k which makes me suspicious. It’s a reasonable price, with explainable reason. :|
Sounds like a deal. Now is the time to get your trusted piano tuner along to see it.

If you don't have a trusted piano tuner, ring up the institution, school or college in your area with the best reputation for music and ask who tunes their pianos. Don't be fobbed off by letters after names in adverts.

The D before the serial no. is the series number. Have a look inside the rim of the piano on the 'flat' side and see if there's the evidence of that wallet holder. If there is, then it's imported. If possible, get to see the sales receipt. 3mil is getting on for 30 years old now, and people often think their pianos are younger than they are!

Good luck!

(A few MkIVs had a black vinyl dashboard. No I haven't time to restore cars as well as pianos, so i bought it at great expense fully rebuilt!)