Digital piano advice

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Toby

Digital piano advice

Post by Toby »

I have children who are very keen for me to buy a keyboard with bells and whistles (lots of different sounds, effects, rhythms etc).

I'd rather get a basic model that sounds and feels like a real piano (properly weighted keys) with the ability to play silently (through headphones?).

Is it possible to get the best of both worlds? I've seen the Yamaha Motif ES8 but it seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut and an almighty price to go with it.
Timothy2005
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

hope this helps

Post by Timothy2005 »

I bought a Clavinova CLP150 for my son when he was 8 years old (now11). He is now on Assoc Board grade 5, but NOT on the Clavinova. He had to move to a traditional piano for his grades and even after that I am now on the lookout for more refined piano to further his studies. Anyway the CLP150 did the job for learning on until grade II, but I’m sure many would disagree. This is just my experience, right or wrong, not my opinion. We changed his tutor to one that could help him advance further and he was horrified about the Clavinova…..

Anyway, he had a lot of fun with all the sounds and playbacks, particularly mimicking masterpieces that could be played back, recording his own playing with a variety of instrument options etc. Earphones were very handy! Anyway, I believe it may have helped keep his interest in learning the piano, but who knows…. He had fun with it and it could be used as a more serious instrument for his earlier practise days.

I also enjoyed playing it as a piano and tinkering with a few of the voices that you could mix with piano. I would not go as far to say it resembled the feel of a traditional piano, they are completely different instruments, but the keys felt more weighted than say a synth keyboard and expression could be gained to a degree. The various piano replication options were good. (It incorporates dynamic 3-level stereo piano sound so I was told – not a techie) which gave it a more realistic piano tone than its predecessors. I hope it helps.

I have seen them go for around 800 – 1000+, 1 to 2 years old
Toby

Unbelievable digital piano!

Post by Toby »

Thanks for the advice. I went to Chappell's of Bond Street to try out a few including your recommendation.

Eventually decided on the new Yamaha S90 ES (£1,499). It's unbelievable! Can't pretend that we're using it to its maximum potential but the children are learning fast.

The piano sounds are exceptionally good (I think better the P-series from Yamaha) and the touch is close to the real thing - a little lighter and somewhat spongier, but absolutely fine.

I should also say that Chappell's were very helpful. They not only beat the best online price I could find, they gave good advice, didn't hurry me (I stayed in the shop for hours) and had the keyboard delivered that very evening.
Timothy2005
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Timothy2005 »

I used at Chappells in Milton Keynes for nearly 20 years until they closed that branch two months ago. I was amongst the last customers in the shop, sad day, like loosing a bit of history... It had become too expensive for them to stay due to Milton Keynes ridiculous rent rates in the city centre.

Anyway, a bunch of great guys & girls, I believe some went to Bond St. Always very helpful and nothing too much trouble. I’m sure you'll get the same level of briliant service from Bond St.

I hope you enjoy the Yamaha S90 ES.
PianoFifty
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Chappells

Post by PianoFifty »

Interesting to hear confirmation about the MK store - I heard a rumour a few months ago that both MK and Bond Street would be closing soon. I gather the lease is due to expire on Bond Street and they have lined up another premises in Wardour St (I think). Heard this back in June from someone that works in the keyboard dept at Bond St. Sounds like we'll be hearing some more bad news soon - I've been visiting the Bond St shop for the past 25 years.
Toby

High Street Retailers

Post by Toby »

The only way to ensure the survival of these High Street shops is to use them, eulogise them, recommend them.

It is a fallacy that online stores provide better value. Buying something as important and expensive as a musical instrument requires time, expert advice and opportunity to try out different instruments.

Shame on those who use the High Street stores as a showroom, only to go back home and order cheaper online. This will inevitably lead to more store closures and ultimatley the end of the chance for any of us to buy instruments this way.

End of rant...