Second hand electric piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

faerie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Second hand electric piano

Post by faerie »

Hi, I am looking for a second hand electric piano for my daughter (grade 3 piano) and myself (grade 7). We want something fairly cheap but which we will be able to use up to a high level. Any ideas on makes and models. I have been looking on ebay but am unsure as to what is any good.
Many thanks Faerie
PianoFifty
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by PianoFifty »

You probably need to look at something with:

1. a full 88 note keyboard
2. full size 'box' section keys (like a piano)
3. weighted simulated hammer piano action
4. built in speakers

The Yamaha YDP113 fits the bill and retails for about 470 pounds. This is the latest in a long line of similar Yamaha instruments, and the older ones are easily available second-hand (from around 200 pounds upwards) - just the older they get the more inferior the sound etc.

I wouldn't bother with the really cheap digital pianos - the light action and poor sound will drive you mad. And the early Clavinovas were horrible by comparison with what you can get today.

I am a Yamah fan, personally, and own a DGX500 for playing around on, which is fab in all respects and has a wonderful piano sound, but the action is too light to recommend for serious piano study.
faerie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

how old is too old?

Post by faerie »

thanks for the advice, just wondering how old would you consider too old? I think we will probably have to go for second hand as we only have around £200 to spend. I have heard that keyboards can lose their tune after about 7 years and I guess from what you are saying the sound quality has also improved. Is there any age I should not consider or does it depend on the model, make etc?
best wishes
faerie
PianoFifty
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: how old is too old?

Post by PianoFifty »

faerie wrote:I have heard that keyboards can lose their tune after about 7 years
I haven't heard of that one before - its true to say that some older electronic keyboards had dire pitch-shift problems, but just about anything made in the last 20 years should be rock solid in terms of pitch stability, due to the digital electronics which have become standard in that time.

Its the advances in sound sampling technology that make the biggest difference, and there has been steady progress over the years, so whatever you buy the quality of the actual sounds (ie the closeness in terms of timbre to a real piano) will be directly proportiate to the age of the instrument, unless there is a fault with a newer instrument that prevents it performing to it full potential.

The early clavinovas are a good example - those from the early 80's had a nasty, tinny 'electronic' piano sound. The modern ones are very close to the actual sound of a real piano, even simulating additional harmonics from adjoining strings according to the weight of touch applied to the keys - this has nothing to do with pitch, or tuning, of course.

To be honest, from what I have seen on ebay and elsewhere, I think you'll have a job finding an instrument that will satisfy you long term for that amount of money - if you could push it to the 300 pound mark that should get you a decent secondhand EP, but I would be very cautious buying anything over 10 years old mainly because of the tone quality issues.

Hope this helps.
faerie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

thanks for the help,

Post by faerie »

that has made things clearer, will keep looking. i am a bit worried about spending money on something which won't last, so maybe saving more money and buying a better model is perhaps the answer.
best wishes faerie.