J. Jenkinson square piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

mm
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

J. Jenkinson square piano

Post by mm »

I have recently had the good fortune to acquire a small, simple square piano which I have just discovered has a fascinating, unique history. The piano looks like a copy of a Zumpe, is 4’11” wide, has the simple English action and two hand-stops. It sits on a separate wooden frame. The name written on it is J. Jenkinson, 39 Fashion Street, Spitalfields. I couldn’t find Jenkinson listed anywhere as a piano manufacturer but I did find him listed at that address as a music seller, so I thought he may have put his name on another make of piano. Further searches took me to the Oldbaileyonline website and to the 1796 trial of Richard Geast, who was transported for 7 years for stealing a square piano from Longman & Broderip’s warehouse in 1795. I know some of you already know about this trial. (Have a look at http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/html_ses ... 60406.html . Really interesting reading!) Imagine my astonishment when I read the statement from the witness John Jenkinson, referring to what must almost certainly be the actual piano I have: …..I know it by certain things inside, by my name being in the inside… Q. How is your name put? A. There being no name on it when I bought it, Mr. Perry gave me leave to put my name upon it, where the maker’s name is put, it is in my hand-writing, wrote upon the wood with ink……..

So, what is the chance of that piano surviving to this day, still in good playing order and matching it with a statement in official records as to why Mr. Jenkinson put his name on it?

I understand several piano makers made instruments for Longman & Broderip and I would like to find out who made this one. I will be pleased to e-mail detailed photos to anybody who think they may be able to help, or to anybody who just wants to see it for their own interest.
Bill Kibby

Jenkinson

Post by Bill Kibby »

Fascinating if it proves to be correct, but it seems to me to require a huge leap of faith to accept that a common name like John Jenkinson written inside a piano connects with J. Jenkinson on the front of the nameboard of this one. Also, this Zumpe lookalike, with handstops, sound earlier than 1795. If you have logged in, you can simply press the email button. If you type the single word pianogen into your internet address bar, you can contact me that way.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info