Kemmler Osnabruck

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Ross Kay

Kemmler Osnabruck

Post by Ross Kay »

Hi,

I wonder if we anyone can help?

I do not know a great deal at all about pianos. My wife's the expert and that only extends to playing them!

We have a piano marked Kemmler Osnabruck (made from Rosewood, I believe). We are thinking of replacing it, but would be loath to if the piano has any real value. I'm not looking for a precise valuation at this stage, but I wonder if anyone knows how old such a piano may be and whether they are, generally speaking, of any value.

Thx.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

They are listed in Pierce but there is no other information you could try one of the German piano sites

As to its value the usual applies (see please read before posting). However, because it is not a well known make the piano will have very little resale value unless it has an unusual case and then this may only add 100 pounds or so

Dealers don’t tend to give much for older pianos in part ex because of the poor resale value sadly this is a result of the internet and cheep overseas new pianos that have been flooding the UK market for the last five years

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Ross Kay

Post by Ross Kay »

Thanks.

I assume Pierce is some kind of industry guide (like Glass's for cars). I did read the "read this" posting before starting, but I only wanted a rough "probably or probably not" indication as to value; so, the info you have provided is spot on.

If you have a link to a German site easily to hand, it would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Ross.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Try

www.pianonews.de/

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gastiflex

Post by Gastiflex »

Hi, I'm french and I'm living in Toulouse.
I also have a Kemmler made in Osnabrück.
I'm 22 years old, I play the piano since the age of 4 and I've always been playing on it.
I don't know where it comes from neither how old it is. All that I know is that the mother of my grandmother bought it to my uncle. So it must have at least 30 years, but I don't know if she buy it new or if it was a second-hand.

It has been maintained correctly, it still works perfectly and I still play on it.

I've find nothing on it, so I anybody has an idea of its value I'm intersted.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Kemmler is another of those German piano names now used by the Chinese. They don't claim they're from Osnabruck any more though!

PG :wink:
Gastiflex

Post by Gastiflex »

I've found information about Kemmler : it was created in 1850, and the production stopped in 1905. They didn't make a lot of pianos, so it's why there's no serial number.
So my piano has more than a century, and it works still correctly.
Aurora Stephens

Post by Aurora Stephens »

I have a Kemmer, Osnabruck, grand piano (measurement six feet)in rosewood. I believe it was manufactured before 1905. It is in mint condition and well tuned and completely playable. I would like to get some idea of its market value.

Aurora
Aurora Stephens

Kemm;er Piano

Post by Aurora Stephens »

I just put out a message on my Kemmler piano but I mispelled 'Kemmler'. It does have a serial number in contrast to what a previous contributor stated. the serial number is 282079. We have a written appraisal for this piano of CAD$10,000 (retail) made in 1984.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I've found that the Kemmlers I've tuned have been good quality well-built instruments, and at least one of them has been very successfully rebuilt. As with any older piano you have to be aware of its sensitivities to central heating and double glazing (and air conditioning if you're in foreign parts!), but as long as you're prepared to give it a drink now and then it should be perfectly happy! (Bit like me, really... :wink: )
If you look inside on the end key (easily removed once the casework is lifted off) there MAY be a date which was scrawled on the underside in the factory before it left. Usually it's on the very bottom A. Or sometimes tuners wrote tuning dates on the keys, although if you've had it tuned regularly I would have thought your tuner would have spotted these if there were any.
Unfortunately it's been my experience that if you remove the end key for looking for a date on it, there isn't one, but if you take the end key out to do a repair...there it is! Someone's Law, I think they call it. :?
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

That'd be Murphys Law Gill...like just about everyone else in the world I have come up against it at various times in life :?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Oo, you ent half polite, gel...here in Bucks we call it S*d's Law but I was trying not to be common. Now look wot you made me do - Barrie will tell me off now! :roll: :wink:
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

And here I was thinking us Aussies (well after 47 years here I am one of them now) were the uncouth lot :roll:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

That's why we transported you there! :lol: I was trying to be polite but YOU MADE ME DO IT!! It's all right, I don't think Barrie noticed... :wink:
Ross Kay

Kemmler Osnabruck

Post by Ross Kay »

Hi,

Now I really am confused! :roll: After much procrastination, I was going to advertise the piano for a few hundred quid, when I stumbled across the thread I had started back in February. I noticed anjan's comments about the quality of the restored rosewood. Our piano is an upright. Is this the reason why anjan's is so valuable ('cos it's a grand)? I am wondering now whether it is more valuable as a piece of furniture than as a musical instrument. :?: Any guidance gratefully received.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If it's a truly exquisite case with wonderful rosewood and perhaps with its original sconces (candlesticks) then yes, you can get more for it as an antique/piece of set dressing than as a musical instrument. I have seen a truly dreadful (in musical terms) little Broadwood upright with a wooden frame go for SIX HUNDRED QUID!!!!! :shock: in a local antique shop simply because it was 'pretty'. (The casework was, the tone wasn't). Another factor is size; people are more likely to want smaller pianos if it's mainly for set dressing, and from what I remember of the Kemmlers I've tuned, they're not small. But an interior designer who's been charged with furnishing a huge house might warm to it! If you want to try that avenue, advertise it in BBC Homes and Antiques or Period Living or that one where people from Kensington buy green wellies and Agas to go with their Chelsea Tractors. A lot depends on where you live; the closer to London the higher the price. There's a shop called Richard Reason who sells antique pianos, but they're all restored and repolished, so his prices will be far more than what you'll be able to ask, obviously.
KPlatt82

Kemmler Osnabruck

Post by KPlatt82 »

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I have inherited a C.Kemmler & Co upright piano that's been in my family for over 30 years and god knows how old it actually is, but that's by the by!

We're moving abroad and we're moving the piano with us, but we've been asked for a rough estimation of weight...
If anyone has any idea where I can find the information on this or possibly have ever weighed a piano I would much appreciate some feedback.

the dimensions are L: 140cm H: 125cm W: 65cm...

All help/advice welcome

K
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Kemmler Osnabruck

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Roughly - about 400 lbs (180 kilos)
Just depends on the cast iron frame, if its a full iron frame or 3/4 frame, so may be slightly less or more.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
KPlatt82

Re: Kemmler Osnabruck

Post by KPlatt82 »

thanks for the response. very useful.

Kat