Cleaning the piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Nikkichick

Cleaning the piano

Post by Nikkichick »

Hello

I have recently purchased a Bell Piano which has been sitting in someone's house for about 15 years untouched. It is filthy! I have cleaned the rosewood cabinet but it still has a white sheen on some parts - any ideas? The keys are yellowish and some of the felts are missing - what can I use to clean the keys and can I replace the felts myself? Would the keys be ivory? Some of the keys arn't level either - I've seen levelling disks on the net - are these easy to install? The insides are covered in about 10mm of dust - I've vacummed out the base of the unit and other ideas? The felts on the inside parts (hammers I think they are called) are white and grey - the grey being dust I presume. How do I clean those?

I am going to wait 3 or 4 weeks before I have it tuned but in the meantime I'd like to arm myself with as much info as possible about how to get this lovely instrument back to its former glory.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Nikki
ticktock19852004
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by ticktock19852004 »

Hello!

If the keys are yellowish, they are probably ivory. There is no practical way to remove the "yellow", except for replacing the key tops. If they are not ivory; mild soap and a damp rag should take care of them. DON'T USE TOO MUCH WATER. Yes, felts are generally easy to install. The discs that one inserts to level the keyboard: The installation is easy, actually getting the keyboard "level" takes beginners hours of tinkering. The only way i have found to "clean up" the hammers is to re-surface them. Although it does not get them looking new, it does improve the appearance and tone. Just keep in mind; getting an old piano to look new takes hours upon hours of restoration work.

Hope this helps!
ticktock19852004
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by ticktock19852004 »

oh, for the cabinet, i would try Murphy's Oil Soap.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Could you get hold of a book by Reblitz on repairing and tuning pianos? It'd tell you everything you'd need to know. Fletcher and Newman and Heckschers (both addresses are on this site could send you one, or I've just picked one up on eBay for a tenner (including postage). Reshaping hammers has to be done very carefully if you are not going to ruin the tone, and his instructions on it are clear.
Regarding the keys, the yellowing (if they're ivory) is part of its age, and to recover the keys with plastic always makes me think of a very old man with a very new set of gnashers...just because they're yellow doesn't mean they're dirty. (Well, it does in my house, but generally it doesn't!!) Only professional recovering done in a factory looks completely natural. If you'll excuse the pun... :roll:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You can bring ivory back up to bright white I do quite a lot for the trade
See http://www.acrylikey.co.uk/bleaching_ivory.html

Take care 60 % Hydrogen Peroxide is very very strong and can bleach you snow white

Yellow plastic can be sanded and buffed back to a point

However, if your tuner is coming he/she can do all of the above and it may not cost you that much

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Wot? No rhubarb? :shock:
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

I agree with Gill on the analagy of keys and new gnashers on old men...hahaha...you've obviously seen my hubby's new set :roll: ...I just cannot get used to them.
An old piano has a lot of character...and like us youth-challenged people it's earned the right not to look pristine...treasure it. :wink:
I just did a quick read through on the link Barrie posted above.
Hope you have a science degree. :twisted: The bit about the unstabilised stuff being explosive sent me running for the hills... wouldn't want you to blow up yourself or your piano.