Why no Rhodes reproductions??.......

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

tbip2001
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Why no Rhodes reproductions??.......

Post by tbip2001 »

This has bugged me for a while now, why havent, well I guess its Roland now, produced a reproduction of the Mk1, and Mk2 suitcase pianos??

I for one, would love to be able to purchase a new mk2 88!

Whilst I understand some may find a new rhodes not quite the done thing, but I dont doubt it would be popular item.

Any thoughts??

tbip2001
'You gotta eat big, to be big!'
PianoFifty
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by PianoFifty »

Probably because there wouldn't be the demand to justify the tooling etc that would have to go into recreating such an instrument + the fact that there are plenty still available on the second-hand market.

Many modern electronic keyboards can replicate the sound of the Rhodes, so why would you want to lug 100lbs weight around with you, of an instrument that's only capable of producing one tone? They were designed in the sixties to try and simulate the sound and key action of a traditional piano, for the benefit of customers that couldn't accommodate, or couldn't afford, a real piano (I have a feeling the military had a role somewhere in the design aspects, to create a potable keyboard that could be used in the field for entertainment or some such requirement).

The cult status achieved by the Rhodes, and the rather similar (but better) Wurlitzer Electric Piano, was more by accident than design, similar to the success achieved by the Hohner Clavinet. I owned a MkII Stage 73 for a number of years, when I didn't have room for a full-sized piano, and hated it. But it got me through Grade 8 with distinction, so I suppose I shouldn't grumble!
tbip2001
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by tbip2001 »

Thanks for the reply mate,

Yeah you make good points, I suppose demand wouldnt really be their.

I buying a yammy p60 and intend to build a replica Rhodes case to house it (the sound will be through a different module, as the yammys rhodes is orrible!).

Should look pretty cool when done, and will be great for gigging.

tbip2001
'You gotta eat big, to be big!'