Well done Steinway!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

PianoFifty
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Well done Steinway!

Post by PianoFifty »

Visiting Central London yesterday (I was checking out the London Open House day, and had called in at the Wigmore Hall, which was open for visits backstage etc) I wandered over to the Steinway showroom in Marylebone Lane. Not having been there before, and not being sure it was open, it was with some trepidation I set foot on that hallowed ground.

Not really expecting a warm welcome (I felt sure they would be expecting their visitors to arrive by Bentley or Rolls, rather then my preferred mode of transport - pushbike or Shanks' pony!) I was quite surprised when the assistant was not only welcoming but uttered the words "feel free to play any of them" and "the concert grands are in the back room". Yes, fifty or more of S&S finest, and not a keyboard cloth in sight! Absolutely no hassle from the sales staff, either, as I tinkled away on a 90 grand nine footer! I was also happily proferred an invitation to attend their technical evening next week, though I am neither a technician nor a particularly good pianist.

Maybe it was because they were not busy, or as the cynics amongst us might say 'they're only there to sell pianos, after all', but I found the experience quite thrilling, and rather different from the reception you get at a certain other piano-selling establishment not a million miles from Oxford Street!

10/10, Steinway, and if my numbers come up on the lottery you can be sure I will be beating a path to your door....
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

They are a lot better than they use to be I sent a client up she spent a lot of money and they did not even make brew after travailing from up north

All the big show rooms for the main manufactures have got off there high horse and are a lot more down to earth Well as much as a southerner can be
:D

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill Green wrote:And of course, our beer's better. Razz

Ya! right and you can keep it at £3.10 a pint BTW what are you paying for a 24 pack of Stella 440 ml we pay £10.50

Time shift I posted this at 05:28 pm !!! Na it was 6 55

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

We MUST be Down To Earth...it's filmed just along the road here at Hambleden, Bucks. HAH! :roll: And if you heard the language when I play a bum note you'd know precisely how down to earth we southerners can be. And of course, our beer's better. :P
PianoFifty
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by PianoFifty »

I'm not going anywhere near the North/South divide debate - the lady in the showroom was German (I think). Does that count as being a Southerner? (unless she was from Hamburg, of course, which is further North than Bolton!).

And I paid £2.20 for a pint of Stella in Wetherspoons the other day - us Londoners don't drink out of little bottles!

Now I'd better get back to polishing my keys....
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

The thing about living dahn sarf is that we have decent beer, so don't need to drink fizzy foreign stuff, but if we did, we're close enough to Dover to nip over to Abroad and get it for two and threepence a gallon, Barrie...and Old Peculier is two pounds seventy a pint in the POSH pubs (the ones where you wipe your feet on the way IN...) :wink: !
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill Green wrote:Barrie...and Old Peculier is two pounds seventy a pint in the POSH pubs (the ones where you wipe your feet on the way IN...) :wink: !
£1.80 for real Ale not that fizzy stuff you have down there :wink:

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

By cracky, I bet that's rough... :shock: Have you any enamel left on your teeth? :lol: