shining up the ole' hardware

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

ticktock19852004
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

shining up the ole' hardware

Post by ticktock19852004 »

Hello!

In the midst of restoring my 1915 Lester upright, i was wondering; what could i use to shine up the pressure bar and the action brackets?

thanks!
ticktock19852004@yahoo.com
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Oxalic acid works well here too.

Get boiling that rhubarb!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Can anyone else smell rhubarb...? :shock:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: shining up the ole' hardware

Post by Barrie Heaton »

ticktock19852004 wrote:Hello!

In the midst of restoring my 1915 Lester upright, i was wondering; what could i use to shine up the pressure bar and the action brackets?

thanks!
To add if you are removing the pressure bar then use a Buffing wheel and take extra care to remove the groves that are made by the strings.

Besides the OA you can use a small buffing wheel on a small power tool. However this can be messy and you must wear eye protection

Also remember Oxalic acid may come from rhubarb but it is very poisonous and can irritate unprotect skin if you have any small cuts wear gloves works best the hotter you have it DON’T use any Ammonia products on the same surface can’t remember the gas it gives off but if you are in an unventilated area your DEAD

BTW I would stop placing your email address at the bottom of you posts unless you like junk mail

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
ticktock19852004
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by ticktock19852004 »

Thanks for the advice!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: shining up the ole' hardware

Post by PianoGuy »

Barrie Heaton wrote: Also remember Oxalic acid may come from rhubarb but it is very poisonous and can irritate unprotect skin if you have any small cuts wear gloves works best the hotter you have it DON?T use any Ammonia products on the same surface can?t remember the gas it gives off but if you are in an unventilated area your DEAD
Actually, there is only a small amount of oxalic acid in ripe red rhubarb, but there's a concentration of the stuff in rhubarb leaves.

Most oxalates are nasty and some are indeed deadly, so best not to mix oxalic acid with any other chemical except water.
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

and people actually eat that stuff??? :shock:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

It’s great in a pie with custard Or better still rhubarb crumble got one of them in the freezer

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page