A discussion on cracks in a sound board

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

ticktock19852004
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

A discussion on cracks in a sound board

Post by ticktock19852004 »

Hello!

I would like to discuss cracks in sound boards, as i think there are a lot of mis-understandings with this issue. My first piano was a pre-owned piano that i bought from a local dealer. A few months after sitting in my home it developed a audible buzz. I called the dealer and explained the situation. They advised me that there could be nothing done to fix a buzz in a cracked sound board, except i might try to put a jar of water in the bottom of the case. WRONG! Putting a jar of water in the bottom of the case may and probably will rust other componets in the piano. After many hours of research i found the buzzing is usually caused by a rib that has come loose from the sound board. If one is not worried about the "cosmetic" side of repairing this problem, a wood screw may be placed in the offending rib to tighten it against the sound board again. Generally I don't get overly concerned over cracks in the sound board (especially in OLD pianos). Generally cracks mean that the sound board is more responsive; thus, giving better tone. I've all too often heard, "If the sound board is cracked take the piano to the land fill". What are other's comments about this? Is there any other adequate repairs except for extrememly costly soundboard restoration??
Thanks!

ticktock19852004@yahoo.com
classic-keyboard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by classic-keyboard »

The wet-behind-the-ears guy replies: a loose rib or whatever causing a buzz or similar noise is obviously a big deal and whether it's fixed beautifully or crudely it needs to be fixed. However, my understanding is that, at least for 'ordinary' pianos, a split in the soundboard doesn't make as much difference to the tone of the piano as people would have you think.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

For a small split, a container of water in the bottom of the piano often serves to keep the split closed. However, when the soundboard is in several pieces...!
Repairing it properly involves shimming the cracks, necessitating a complete restring (unless the strings will tolerate being dropped in pitch then brought back up again), and it needs to be ascertained whether the instrument is worth it...which quite often it isn't. Unless it's a quality piano or has enormous sentimental value, of course.
Sometimes a rattle can be loose bass string windings (new bass strings on affected notes) or the bridge coming away from the soundboard.
On one occasion, though, it proved to be a marble which was resting against the soundboard!
ticktock19852004
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by ticktock19852004 »

LOL, isn't strange how one can find a multitude of objects inside a piano. I have to say buzzes in a piano is one of the most frustrating problems, one can go insane trying to find the source of it. As i mentioned earlier, shimming a soundboard is extremely expensive. If it done on a "home" piano it is usually purely for cosmetic reasons and is almost never worth the cost. I've seen in otherwise perfect condition pianos go to the dump over cracks in the sound board.
I hate to see that happen when there is obviously other alternatives.

Thanks
ticktock19852004@yahoo.com
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

See

http://www.steinway.com/technical/soundboard.shtml

They summit up nicely

nothing to do with split soundboards but Interesting
http://www.globaltrees.org/proj.asp?id=45

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
classic-keyboard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by classic-keyboard »

Very reassuring to read the Steinway man saying just what I'd heard and what I always thought must be the case...now try telling all this to a prospective buyer...
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Thank you Barrie for the link to a very interesting article on soundboards. :D