new C3

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

helmllwyn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

new C3

Post by helmllwyn »

This is a message for Barrie really, but it is just to ask whether you have seen the Yamaha C3 that is going to be delivered to me from Music Box on Thursday, to replace the Seiler grand mentioned in a previous post. The question is, how long should I leave the piano to 'settle' before it's first tuning?,and how many times to tune it over the coming months.
Also ,in terms of Prep, do you know whether it will be necessary(or just beneficial) to do any,or further, work in this regard after it has settled in. I did like the sound of the piano when I played it, but you were on holiday at the time,so I didn't know whether you had seen it or not. It was the most recent arrival of the C3s ,and I prefered it over the other 3. Would appreciate hearing your comments. :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I only looked at it briefly last week as we were comparing 4 C3 in a line for a client he did not liked the best I thought the range was nice but the treble is not as your face as the Seiler he has gone for a C7 in the end. I only go in one day a week manly Mondays if I go in, one of the other tuners may have prepped your piano and will give it a final tuning before it goes as it is going on Thursday Phil comes in on a Wednesday so it is more likely be him.

Since you are teaching form it tuning in 4 weeks is best and play it hard in that 4 weeks 3 months after that and 4 months after that then the normally 6 months

As for further work it all depends on how happy you are with the tone and fell of the piano ( trying a piano out in a shop is not the same as in your home) you will know after a few weeks if you are happy with it. 18 month to 2.5 years down the road if you are working the piano hard then a full service will be needed

Enjoy your new piano I’m sure you will love it

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
helmllwyn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by helmllwyn »

Thanks very much for your reply,Barrie. Yes,as you say, the Yamaha is arriving tomorrow! and I am looking forward to it very much. I too liked the C7, but unfortunately couldn't stretch to that at the moment. I will definately be looking to upgrade to either a Bosendorfer 185 or (although I haven't tried one yet) an S4 or Steingraeber in about 3 years time, finances permitting; but the C3 is a huge step up for me from my old Welmar and I feel well "chuffed" with that for the time being!.The pupils are going to absolutely love it when they start the new term on Monday. . . some of them have never even seen a Grand piano!, and I must admit that the soft close fall board was one of the reasons for choosing the Yamaha for teaching (some of my pupils are only 5 ! and their hands go everywhere).
Anyway thanks for all your help, and also others on this forum,. . it has been a real education!
Elizabeth :D
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I would look at the Bluthner Model 6 as well they are very nice but they come at a price of £38.550 the Yamaha S4s are nice but…. The Bosendorfer are very nice

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
helmllwyn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

It's arrived ! ! !

Post by helmllwyn »

I can barely contain myself !. At last I have got the new Yamaha C3 piano in my house, and it is wonderful.
I am jumping up and down like a kid on Christmas eve. . . . not really appropriate for a 40 year old, I know. I feel that it is a stepping stone to even better things in a few years time, and I think that that is part of the excitement, BUT in terms of getting a great instrument for the money,then this has to be one of the best deals around. I was agonising over letting go of the Seiler Grand,and I know that the treble of any Yamaha will not approach that of said departed friend!, but ,for my purposes at the moment, this lovely instument will do just fine.
I had the choise of 4 C3s, and chose this one (for better or worse). . . .why?.. . I could go on all night!
First, the importance of playing the instrument you are goimg to buy (for loads of your money!) cannot be over-stated. You can have a room full of C3s , or Steinways!,which will all have quite different tonal qualities and characteristics. They will all feel very subtly different to play, and sometimes one of them will "speak to you". I know this sounds crazy, but there is a piano out there for every pianist! if you take the time to look.
Within a budget this can be a difficult task, because some of us have had the opportunity to play some inspiring instruments in concert halls over the years, and our ears become attuned to the more esoteric realms of piano sounds. (most of this is purely subjective by the way!),but we know what we like !,
I acquired an early addiction to the Bosendorfer "sound", and have suffered for it ever since, in that I have never been able to afford said instrument, but that does not mean that I have not enjoyed playing other pianos along the way, and appreciated the quirks which make a particular piano stand out from another of the same model and factory.

To get back to the post, I found a C3 of potentially exceptional quality, hiding in a clutch of four "good but ordinary" instruments, and I could just about afford it!, so the choice was easy!, and furthermore, I think that this particular instrument will grow and grow, as they all do when they are really good.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well don't just sit there tapping at the computer;
GO AND PLAY YOUR NEW PIANO!!! :roll: :wink:
helmllwyn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by helmllwyn »

O.K Gill ! ! ! (it was 1 o'clock in the morning!) :lol: :lol:
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

That would make it 9am here.....perfect time for playing a brand new piano. :twisted: