Problem with Damper Pedal

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

la_rapissima

Problem with Damper Pedal

Post by la_rapissima »

My piano is an Estey spinet, not sure about the age because I bought it used about three years ago. It was in good condition when I purchased it, but lately I've been noticing that whenever I use the damper pedal, it doesn't seem to "echo" very much, if at all.

Would a simple tuning be enough to fix this, or do I have a bigger problem? My nieces and nephews come over quite a bit and are always banging away on it, even though I've repeatedly told them not to touch the thing, so I'm not sure if that's the cause of the problem or what.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
classic-keyboard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by classic-keyboard »

Mr. ignorant-about-real-pianos says: isn't it probably that the pedal mechanism is out of adjustment and isn't lifting the dampers properly? There'll be turn-able stuff in the trapwork if you take the lower front cover off, that can take up the lost motion (slack). Just so long as you don't adjust it so far that the dampers are being pushed slightly away from the strings when the pedal is released.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Sound like the nut needs adjusting on the pedal not a big job

Well you tuner will be able fix that in 2 sec as for Children flicking the pedal that will cause the nut to turn

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
la_rapissima

Post by la_rapissima »

Thanks for all the help. <3
ticktock19852004
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by ticktock19852004 »

Hello!

Please keep in mind; banging on the keys may cause the piano to drop out of tune sooner, or result in an undesirable repair bill.

Thanks!

ticktock19852004@yahoo.com