Market for piano technicians

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

classic-keyboard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Market for piano technicians

Post by classic-keyboard »

If you're considering becoming a piano tuuner/technician there's a lot of positive stuff to be heard from people wanting to sell you courses (residential and distance-learning), much of which is US-based and much of which is out of date. What's the story in 2005? Are people in the UK buying 'real' pianos in any numbers? And do these people actually get their pianos tuned and serviced? And are there already more than enough tuner/techs in the UK to cater for this market or is there room for more?

In case you recall my handle from previous threads, I dithered over a number of pianos and never bought one; then someone offered me one for nothing - which I could afford. It's just arrived and its a 1900-ish Collard & Collard 5' 4" grand with a roller action. It's in a right state and therefore ideal to learn tuning and tech-ing on.

The reason for the current topic? There are some well-regarded distance-learning courses in piano tuning/tech-ing and I'm tempted to buy one. They all say there's a huge market for tuners and techs; dear old Reiblitz said the same in 1976 or whenever it was. Speaking as a vintage Hammond tech (the Hammonds are vintage, not me), I'd really like to add piano tech-ing to my skills set but - to return to the point of the topic - I want to know what the market is actually like these days. The couple of tuners I've talked to seem pretty reluctant to welcome another tuner into their midst. Does this mean there's very little work to be had?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I'm afraid there are some dog-in-the-manger attitudes about, but to be honest you'd get that in any trade. Most of us have enough work (in the Thames Valley - can't vouch for other areas!) and if we're any good, customers will stay with us. If we're not, then we don't deserve the customers anyway! I've taken a young tuner around and introduced her in local piano shops, simply because it's what an old tuner did for me when I was young (blimey...that long ago!) and terrified.
A lot depends on how much work there is in your area; obviously a tuner in an area without much work will tend to be protective of his patch. The tuner who took me around was on the brink of retirement (his idea of retirement being to tune as many pianos in a morning as I do in a day!)and gradually passed on all the old bangers to me that I couldn't damage! When he died, he left me all his tools, equipment and customers - a legacy which is still growing 15 years after his death, as his old clients recommend me to new customers. That's a wonderful attitude to have had to a beginner, and I'd hope other tuners would be the same.
I for one wish you luck...as long as you live a long way from Marlow! :wink: :lol:
classic-keyboard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Thanks for your encouraging words. Is Gatwick far away enough?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Market for piano technicians

Post by Barrie Heaton »

classic-keyboard wrote: I want to know what the market is actually like these days. The couple of tuners I've talked to seem pretty reluctant to welcome another tuner into their midst. Does this mean there's very little work to be had?
All depends on where you live, how good you are and most importantly what your communication skills are like. One of my teachers told me 95% of the job is tuning the client and 5% is tuning the piano and how true he was.

It take time to establish a round about 5 years clients don’t normally swap and change and the ones that do you don’t want them anyway as they are the ones who bitch over price, you need about 400 active clients to start making a living below that you are just existing to get that number quick you will need a lot of music teachers on your round or do a lot of shop work that allows you to keep the client.

When I started I pulled every piano up to pitch that would come up at no extra change in my favour a lot of the local tuner would not pull pianos up to pitch but my standard fee was the same well in most cases more expensive you give that bit extra Now if you want me to pull up a piano a Semitone its £100 +

The problem in the UK is that a lot of tuners tend to work in the same area and there are big areas that have no tuners, The UK is not set up like the USA most of the tuners in the UK are very suspicious of distance learning as most of us went to College

As tuners we have to cover a bigger area not that there is less work its getting folk in as in most cases the homes you visit both partners work so unless you work out of hours or you have to travel to fill 5 days

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...or take a day off during the week and work on Saturdays; people are very grateful (and surprised) if you offer a Saturday appointment. The minus side is that the anklebiters are at home ("Watchoo doin'? Woss this for? Wottappens if I press this? I can play London's Burning on my recorder, listen..." etc., etc..) but the plus side is shopping during the week with NO anklebiters underfoot or men on mobiles in the supermarkets plaintively asking WHICH flavour yoghurt to get as there seems to be more than one... :roll: :wink:
And yes, Gatwick is fine! :P
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill Green wrote: work on Saturdays;
Deduct two Beers for that :roll:

Barrei,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tuna »

Saturdays off?...wish i could. I usually work 6 days a week, and even had to tune three U3's last sunday night.

Come to think of it, I have a tuning at 7am tomorrow, better get to bed. :shock:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Are there TWO seven o'clocks in a day, then? :shock:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...and as for two beers, Barrie, you KNOW I never touch a drop! :twisted:
classic-keyboard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

now seriously guys, I am interested to know what the market is like for piano tuners and technicians in the UK in 2005. If anyone has any hard facts I'd really like to hear them....
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There are no hard facts as we are by nature of the job loners. What I can tell you I am the Treasure of the ABPT this week I have spoke on the phone to 5 tuners 3 told me they had more work than they could handle and one said time are bad are the 3 lying well going off my own workload No is the guy who says work is slow has he more competition than the others well……. Could be, the 5 well he lives were men are men and sheep are worried and he tunes a lot of schools so for him it will be quite except for the odd Bhhh

The supply houses are have it bad that because a lot of tuners are no longer doing big repair jobs there are 2 reasons why tuners don’t do big jobs one they have two many tuning to do and you can make a lot of money doing 20 pianos a week or new pianos as so cheep it cheaper to buy a new piano than fix the old one

Pianos Tuners are the first to feel a downturn in the economy and the last to feel the up turn Retailers on the other hand are moaning about sales but they always do
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

And if you're in Gatwick, it's a densely populated area with a high standard of living (she said, generalising wildy) and a high proportion of refugee Londoners and commuters, like the Thames Valley. In other words, a good area for a tuner. You might need to find a shop/dealer who will take you on initially and have to overcome initial resistance because you have no formal qualification, but all you can do is do a test tuning for them to prove yourself. Schools expect you to tune for next to nothing, but it's a chance to tune a few pianos in one location and get a foothold - I have often been recommended by one school to another. Piano teachers also generate income as if you're any good you'll get their pupils as well; that said they often already have a pet tuner.
With regard to reconditioning actions, I pass the jobs on to a local ex-factory man who is fast and efficient and has forgotten more about the piano trade than I'll ever know! I don't have time for big action jobs, but they can prove lucrative if you're fast and efficient like Dave!
How many tuners are there in your area? Look in the directory at their address; what sort of area do they live in - the posh roads, the rough roads or the normal ones?! You can get a vague idea of their income from that...or even get a friend to ask their tuner how business is.
As we've said, every area is different; I should think Gatwick is like the Thames Valley from a potential customer point of view, in which case there will be a consistent client base. Research, research, research...!
classic-keyboard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Thanks guys, this is all most illuminating and - I think - encouraging. I'd better find out if I'm any good at tuning, then. The immediate problem is that my newly-acquired grand is in such a state that it fails all Mr. Reblitz's pre-conditions for tuning. Perhaps I'll have to test my repairing and regulating skills first...

Gill, the idea of snooping on the addresses of local tuners is a good one, as is finding a piano-owning friend to cross-question their tuner. So even piano techs have to be devious, do they?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Devious? Moi?

:twisted:
Clavira
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

job seeker

Post by Clavira »

I'm looking for a job as a piano technician. Please let me know if you know anything. I live in Kent. :!: Thanks.

Tom
Tomek Skonieczny
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: job seeker

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Clavira wrote:I'm looking for a job as a piano technician. Please let me know if you know anything. I live in Kent. :!: Thanks.

Tom
You will find it quite hard to find a shop that will take on a full time tuner /Tec if you are just a Tech then that is even harder

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Clavira
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

:-(

Post by Clavira »

thanks Barrie , :cry: what about good news? :cry:
Tomek Skonieczny