late thirties Monington & Weston bureau piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Stephen

late thirties Monington & Weston bureau piano

Post by Stephen »

Hi,

I am looking for information about a Monington & Weston piano I inherited, serial number 59104. The current owner of the M&E brand, Morley Piano’s, informed me it’s a bureau piano, and that this kind of piano was made in very small numbers for a very short period in the late 1930’s until production for the war effort started.

In the sixties the instrument was refinished. The grips on the drawers of the instrument were modernised at that time and the M&E artwork disappeared. If anyone has information about the original knobs fitted, their material (nickel, brass, wood or anything else) and size, the likeness of the logo and where this artwork would have been when new, please post. I would love to have this piano restored to its original condition including its case.

Right above the two bottom drawers and under the piano keys there are in total three simulated drawers which would have had knobs originally as well (now missing), to add to the effect of a normal desk, while the top right drawer would have had a lock and key as the current keyhole filling is just visible behind the current knob. Any information about the type and brand of the lock mounted on the surface of the inside of this drawer is also welcome. A key for the lock for the quarter cilinder would also help. In addition I am also thinking about getting or making a piano stool or a chair that would fit with the style of the piano. If you have any ideas, feel free to post as well!

Thank you,

Stephen Iseger
Attachments
IMG_8432.jpg
IMG_8430.jpg
IMG_8429.jpg
IMG_8422.jpg
IMG_8428.jpg