Steele Higgins upright

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

emmac
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Steele Higgins upright

Post by emmac »

Has anyone heard of the piano-makers J. Steele Higgins of Green Street, Manchester? Our upright piano is serial no 2975. It was evidently a cheap model, with some unconvincing wood-effect graining, and there are marks where I presume candle-holders were once fixed. Any idea how old it might be? Thanks.
Bill Kibby

Higgins

Post by Bill Kibby »

There was a James Steel in Manchester around the 1890s, but the name you want is a single person, not a partnership - John Steel Higgins. Are you sure Steele ends with an E? We have no record of him making pianos, he only shows up as a dealer. He was at Green Street from the 1890s to the 1930s, so that doesn't help with the date of the piano, and sconces (candle-holders) were available for most of that period. Have a look at the Datemarks page at www.PianoGen.org
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
emmac
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Steel(e) Higgins

Post by emmac »

Thanks very much for your reply.
There's definitely an "e" on Steele both on the front of the piano and inside on the iron frame. Maybe it was made for Steel Higgins to sell, by another manufacturer who didn't know how to spell the name! (or thought it looked better with an "e") Unfortunately I can't find any dates in the places suggested on the Datemarks webpage, but thanks again anyway.
Bill Kibby

Steele

Post by Bill Kibby »

In my experience, it's almost always the directories and other books that are wrong, piano makers don't spell their names wrong! No dates of his serial numbers are available, and it is unlikely that he made the pianos at all, but if the name is cast into the frame, at least we know it was made to be a J. Steele Higgins piano!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
sarahsukgraveyard

Re: Steele Higgins upright

Post by sarahsukgraveyard »

Hi, John steele Higgins was a real person. He was buried in the Weslyan Cemetery cheetham hill now tesco car park. He died in 1921 and was still repairing and manufacturing then I believe. His stone remains with a few others in a small memorial garden on the site. His body and that of his wife I believe are in a mass grave somewhere. Search my user name on YT to see the video piece on him.