eBay

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

eBay

Post by PianoGuy »

I have always maitained that eBay is a risky way to buy a piano.

Furthermore, it never ceases to amaze me what descriptions people stick on their pianos on this site. The vendor of item number 7341427856 unceasingly provides vast septic-tank loads of verbal diarrhoea on all of his listings which has to be read to be believed. What utter tripe!

Naturally, no derision or endorsement of the actual item for sale is implied by the writer of this post.

PG

:wink:
Fletch1985

Post by Fletch1985 »

I was planning to sell my piano on Ebay, are you suggesting that I'd be better off selling it somewhere else instead?
pianolad23
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianolad23 »

I sold my piano on ebay just after xmas, i would recommend selling on ebay but not buying unless u've seen the piano or had a tech check it out coz for all you know the piano may not exist!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Fletch1985 wrote:I was planning to sell my piano on Ebay, are you suggesting that I'd be better off selling it somewhere else instead?
Er.... No.

I think anybody who *buys* a piano from eBay is stupid, but don't worry. There are plenty of stupid people around, millions of whom have never heard of this forum anyway to have any significant effect of the likelihood of your piano selling!

My point was the ridiculous descriptions that some people use on that particular site.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Come on, Pianoguy; you're just jealous because YOU haven't got 'sliding ornamental lightly trays', aren't you? :shock:
Well, wot a grin; I have a stitch in my side now from laughing. I may put him on my 'Favourite Sellers' list... :D . Go and have a look, everyone!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Gill Green wrote:Come on, Pianoguy; you're just jealous because YOU haven't got 'sliding ornamental lightly trays', aren't you?
Damn! Rumbled!
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyone seriously interested in buying that piano on ebay would have injured themselves while rolling around on the floor laughing and when recovered from that....fallen asleep while attempting to wade through the rest of it. :roll:
I wonder how much it cost the seller to wax lyrical. :wink:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Geminoz wrote: I wonder how much it cost the seller to wax lyrical. :wink:
Sadly unlike a Telegraph Classified ad, on eBay extra words cost nothing. His attempts to sell his old joannas often fail, so he always re-lists repeating the exact same gob*h*te verbatim. My fave from him in the past was item number 7318822411 an obviously ancient no-name piano described thus: DEUTSCHER BECHSTEIN - THE NAME IN THE TITLE - THERE ARE NONE ON THE PIANO ITSELF

Absolutely hilarious, but possibly tragic for the buyer. His feedback comment says all.......
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Another old adage worth remembering: "Let the buyer beware". :wink:
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

When someone tells me they've bought a piano on Ebay my heart starts to race cos I've seen so many deceptions, one person bought a piano from an address they thought to be in Birmingham but ended up having to go to London for it (from the West Midlands) although the piano is servicable it certainly wasn't worth going all the way to London for it.

My advice is NO unless you know what you're doing or have been advised by q qualified tuner.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

I see Raymondboy (item 7341427856) more as the struggling voice of poetry in a world of mediocracy.
When you read it with an italian accent it seems to make (a little) more sense.
But it's probably best not to encourage him...
tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tuna »

I think Raymanboy needs help.....just read the description for item 7344256241 Thought I might be going mad as it makes no sense to me at all. Please tell me it's him not me! :roll:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

It's him, not you, dear. :wink:
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

I found Item 7344256241 rather poignant and moving. In particular the bit about Anthony Hopkins was powerfully mysterious and opaque.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I found most of it mysterious and opaque...
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

A440 wrote:I found Item 7344256241 rather poignant and moving. In particular the bit about Anthony Hopkins was powerfully mysterious and opaque.
What a total load of old wonk.

I think the kindest thing would be to get Ant to whip out his Larousse and serve Raymanboy up with a nice glass of Chianti (makes juicy sucking noise thru teeth...) Put him and all of us out of our misery!

PG
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

"poignant and moving", "mysterious and opaque" :?
What planet are you guys from??
According to my Thesaurus....
Poignant: (1)bitter, distressful, heartbreaking, intense, irritating, keen, pointed, sarcastic, severe; (2)acrid, biting, caustic, penetrating, piercing, pungent, sharp, stinging.
Which of these do you consider relevant to the hogwash dished up on ebay.
My choice would be [b]intensely irritating,[/b] :twisted:
tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

raymadboy

Post by tuna »

definitely distressful...... :?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...and heartbreaking...