piano settling time

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

luckas
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

piano settling time

Post by luckas »

Hello again,

As per my previous post, I'm investigating the nuances of my new piano (a 30 year old Yamaha U1 in superb condition). It was delivered very recently, and I've been playing it each day. I've noticed, very occasionally, some light buzzing - which is intermittent and often ceases with the second playing of the note or chord which caused it in the first place. However, it is rare that I do not hear at least one light 'buzz' per passage. I wonder if I'm being paranoid and should just let the piano settle, given that it will be re-tuned and inspected in about 6 weeks anyway. Is it normal to experience occasional buzzing as a piano "settles" into a new environment ?

The internals are exceptionally clean, and the sound board appears to be in very fine condition as far as I can tell.

Are there any standard souces to look for this type of very occasional buzzing ?

Thanks,

Paul
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Could be anything in the room to a loos screw in the hinge make a note of the notes that squeak and inform the tuner when he/she tunes it

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Make sure all the panels are on tight - any clips or hooks holding bits on should be firmly in place. Clear all the cr...rubbish off the top - your piano should be NAKED!!! (said the woman who hasn't seen the top of her piano for some time :oops: ...) And make sure there's nothing leaning against the sides or back of the piano (bits of paper, Beethoven autograph manuscripts, pencils, diamonds, etc). Other than that as Barrie said; let the tuner play hunt the rattle...I once traced a buzz to a glass lampshade, so you can see it could be ANYTHING in the room doing it!
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

I have had problems with the pedal action in yamahas. As they are metal they tend to buzz. Simply ask your tuner to tighten all the wing-nuts in the pedal action and check the middle pedal for buzzing. This can easily be done by tapping the pedal action and finding the loose connection. It is a common minor fault in yamahas.