Can anyone help! Challen Piano!!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Gemma
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Can anyone help! Challen Piano!!

Post by Gemma »

Hi,

ive inherited a 1930's Challen Piano, its an upright and is overstrung, underdampered. It has been recently re-tuned and reconditioned and as far as i can tell it plays really well. Its mahogany and the woodwork is all in oustanding condition with only a few scratches. Its at my parents house at the moment so i cant be any more specific or provide any serial numbers, but if i was to sell this what sort of price could i expect. Im learning piano at the moment but just practice on college pianos and my own keyboard etc. Was going to keep the Challen until i get better at playing and move it down to where i live but was thinking if it was worth anything i could sell it and put the money towards a better one. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

For what you'd get for it, you wouldn't get a decent new piano. You'd probably be better off with a good quality older piano than a nasty modern Chinese -or similar - upright. Everything depends on how it's been looked after, really, and what level pianist you are. More info needed! Any chance of a serial number, for instance? Some of the 30's/40's Challens (I think) had trouble with the hammer felt springing away from the wooden core, but other than that they're very dependable. Come to think of it, that might be Chappell pianos I'm thinking of; no doubt Barrie or Piano Guy will put me right on that one! :wink:
Gemma
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Gemma »

Hi there,

thanks for the reply, i'll get the serial number next time im up at my parents house.

thanks again x
Gemma
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Gemma »

Hi,

anyone know where i can find the serial number on it?? Ive looked everywhere but cant see it, any ideas???? Thanks x
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Lift up the top lid, look at each top corner of the frame; if there's a number there it'll probably have 5 or 6 digits. OR; take top door off completely and look to the left-hand side of the action on the soundboard at the back. OR; take out bottom door (in front of your knees when you sit at the joanna) and look at soundboard (wooden bit behind strings & frame) usually to right hand side. OR; take off top door and fall (keyboard lid) and rail (any bit of wood left going left to right at back of keys). Lift out end lefthand key and look underneath it on keybed for a label or at the key itself where there MIGHT be a date. Any numbers on the key may or may not be worth noting, so try it anyway. By the time you've done that lot you're half way to becoming a tuner! :lol: Of course, you could just ask a tuner to tune it and value it...
Gemma
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Gemma »

Hi there,

Thanks. I looked in nearly all the places you suggested but couldnt find it. I need to get it tuned anyway soon so will just get the tuner to value it. Thanks for your help!! Regards xx