Pianos on ebay

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Like a guitar; you can have a good make (Gibson, Fender, etc.) but if it hasn't been looked after it will be unplayable. Buying from eBay is a gamble - there are many honest sellers and many bargains, but there are sometimes crooks who sell untuneable/unplayable pianos. If you're thinking of bidding, find out where it is and then contact a local tuner to look it over for you. Spending a few pounds on having it checked over will save you spending money on buying what might be a bad piano and having it moved to your house before you find out.
Most bona fide sellers will be happy to let a qualified tuner look it over - if not, ask yourself why not!
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

Hi weejay.
It's not just crooks who sell crap pianos on e-Bay. If you can't get rid of it any other way (local dealers) then it's the obvious place.
I buy pianos for a living and would not go near them.
The pitfalls are endless, remember it's a complicated old machine made out of wood...
That's what piano dealers are ther for. And if you can't afford one from them then either save up or don't get one.

gosh I do sound harsh, Bitter experience I'm afraid.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

eBay?

Schmeebay.

Leave that site well alone.

Don't but a piano, old or new, over the web.

PG
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...unles it's a Steinway D for two and threepence.
Delivered.
AnonymousBloke
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by AnonymousBloke »

I have 2 customers who bought pianos off of ebay - one paid 1 pound and got a completely rebuilt 1920's upright in immaculate condition which is a pleasure to tune from someone whos ran had died and had to urgently shift the piano... another bought an upright with a "good name" for 300 pounds, paid 250 pounds to get it delivered and then paid me 40pounds to tell them that i couldnt do anything with it - it would have been cheaper to just have got someone to look at it first!

There might be some good pianos on ebay, but i would never buy one off of there without getting a tuner to do a report on it! It might look nice in picture, but whats the point in nice looking scrap?