Digital piano question

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Howard

Post by Howard »

Hello - see my previous post today re digitials:
http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... ight=#6075
I like my 2 Rolands, but it is obvious that all digitals will sound different from ' real' pianos. For a student, you need to get a close approximation on touch and size of keys, sound is (IMHO) less important, as when they start to practise they will probably be asked to use the headphones anyway! After that, the sound depends on the softward and the master piano used. I have always disliked Yamahas, as the touch is too like an organ and too little like a real piano. it also depends on what music you are going play, and even whether the teacher has a view on the subject... On balance I prefer Rolands and Kawais: and the argument about depreciation is only relevant if you are planning to sell it. Old digitals, in good condition, can be better than new ones, (my 1990 Roland is better than those in the shop today...), and much cheaper.

regards

HW
Indy

Post by Indy »

The 'decent' digital pianos have exactly the same size keys are the real thing. I've got a Yamaha and its exactly the same. There are smaller keyboards going around aimed at the kiddie and ultra-portable market - I can't comment on your model in question, but you should be able to check the manufacturers website for specifications.

One piece of advice for you - in my opinion, a digital is not an ideal instrument for a child to learn on! Fine to get started on, but as they progress, they should be learning on the real thing. If/When they become advanced, moving over to a digital will be easy. The action on the real thing, the sound, dynamics.. are all different. I'm speaking from my own experience with my kid. Learning on our digital is easy - goes to play a grand-piano in the exam - totally different in every aspect. That was fine for the prep test, now she's doing grade 2, and the gap will be even bigger. So maybe it was nerves I thought. Until I've witnessed it myself - she goes to the tutor who has a grand piano, and she struggles to adjust, and certainly doesn't manage it during the lesson. Some might argue that even an upright has a different action to a grand! I'd agree, but its not that big a difference as compared to a 'digital to grand'.
Don't get me wrong, I think digital pianos are incredible! They never will be the real thing though.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

real and unreal pianos

Post by A440 »

As far as the sound goes...
Does it sound like a real piano? you ask.
I suppose it's best to think of it as a different instrument, like an electric and acoustic guitar. It is never going to BE an acoustic piano in the same way that a photocopy of the Mona Lisa will never be the original.
Hope this helps,