restore an old piano or buy a new one??

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

flo

restore an old piano or buy a new one??

Post by flo »

Hi,I am in Australia and looking for advice on what to do. We have a Mignon german made piano with serial number 18765, ? early 1900's. This has been in the family for 50 yrs but neglected for 40 of those yrs! have a quote to restring and refelt for Au$4000-5000, could by a new one for this! Any suggestions on what to do. The tuner says that the piano still has a great sound to it, but very out of tune with loose pins and worn felt. Will throw sentiment aside and buy a new one if this is the better option. If I do restore as above, is it like an old car, where more and more problems will arise?? If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful, I am really confused at this point!Will restoring it lead to throwing away good money? PS - my daughter and I plan to learn to play . Ta.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I am assuming we are taking about an upright

It is difficult to advise with out seeing the piano, it may be an outstanding beast However,the soundboard may be fine at the moment but what about in 10 years have you had any other techs look at the piano. Australia has some very large climate changes which is not to good for old pianos, my money would be on the new piano but I would get in a second opinion try the Australian piano tuners Association www.aptta.org.au/ for good tuners in your area that do this type of work

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
flo

new or old piano

Post by flo »

thankyou for your thoughts - I think a new piano is what it will be - looking into it anyway!!!.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

Look into his eyes and say "is it really worth it?"
Only you can judge that reaction.
It's about 50/ 50, it may be worth it, or it may be good money after bad....