Unwanted piano - anyone need any spares?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Hagbard

Unwanted piano - anyone need any spares?

Post by Hagbard »

I've an upright piano that is taking up far too much room in my house for this use we get out of it. It only cost my girlfriend 25 quid (plus 3 times that to get it to the house!) though it is in perfect working order, just needing tuning and some dampers.

Anyway, it has to go, and I'm about to get my screwdriver out and dismantle the thing. Is anyone in any need of any spare parts?

I'm based in Bradford, Yorkshire, drop me an email on pianobits@meta-morphosis.co.uk if you'd like to rescue some parts, otherwise they're tip bound!
Brian Lawson, RPT
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Brian Lawson, RPT »

After the screwdriver, get the hammer and saw and take a trip to the hardware store

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... ight=#5420
Brian Lawson, RPT
Johannesburg
South Africa
http://www.lawsonic.co.za
Hagbard

Post by Hagbard »

Hahaha!
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

unwanted piano

Post by Geminoz »

:shock: ooooh how could you even think of wrecking it if it is in working order.
I'm sure if you asked around there would someone who would just love to give it a good home and the appreciation it deserves.
I have a thought as to where the screwdriver should be used, but I will keep that thought to myself. :evil:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

From the Music Trades Review of April 1917:-
" While trying to reconcile ourselves to parting with the piano to make room for a bookcase, the thought struck me - 'Surely this would make a fine bookcase if its insides could be bodily taken out without injury to the frame.'
The result is that we have a piece of beautiful furniture and bookcase combined. The upper part, consisting of about two thirds of the height, contains 3 shelves for books and a writing desk (the former keyboard running the whole length and depth)while the under third forms a famous cupboard for manuscripts and magazines."
Nothing new under the sun, as they say :) ...
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

unwanted piano

Post by Geminoz »

But Gill, he says its in perfect working order :? ...there has to be someone out there desperate for a piano....to play it....and give it some TLC, rather than demolish it or turn it into something else :cry:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well, let's face it, how patient are men compared to women...?! :D We want to get rid of something, we advertise it, mention it to friends...they want rid, and it's " God, is it still here after ten seconds? CHOP IT UP!!!"
Now if it were an old car...it would have to be surgically removed and/or a formal adoption process gone through :lol: ...
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

unwanted piano

Post by Geminoz »

You are right Gill.
The other thing that struck me was that as he says his girlfriend only paid 25 quid for it, it's obviously her piano. I wonder how she feels about it being chopped up. :(
Over the years when I have been lax in my playing due to time constraints...looking after him, kids, house, and working etc etc my hubby many times wanted me to "get rid of that old thing because you never play it."
Well I didn't...when he was home...But when I had the house to myself I let loose with a vengeance.
My reply was always - if it goes I go with it....it's still here....and so is he :wink:
MEN!!!!!!
toskeye
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

parts is parts?

Post by toskeye »

The used spare parts business in pianos is fairly niche, I'd say. If one is needing to replace felts or strings or something, what's the use to replace with old used parts? This kind of work is usually done by a professional tuner/technician. The majority of the expense is more likely to be in the technician's time instead of the damper or string or other part's cost; so the savings would make little difference. A cost conscious tuner hobbyist might replace the odd piece with used parts to keep the instrument playable, putting off a more serios renovation, but the result may be patchwork. Anyway, good luck getting your 25 quid back for the parts.

Have you had a technician look the thing over to assess its value as an instrument? If its shot, the drinks cabinet is a fine idea. :twisted: If its not, just check out all the submissions under "pianos wanted". There are many people looking for a free or cheap, cheep, cheep piano. 8)
Eric
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...and if the key covers are ivory and you take them off VERY VERY CAREFULLY they go for quite a bit on eBay.
Sorry, Geminoz, but if he's determined to murder it we might as well try to make sure SOME of it goes to a good home... :? !
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

unwanted piano

Post by Geminoz »

Somebody PLEASE!!!!!give it a good home :cry: