Dilemma!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

mary5

Dilemma!

Post by mary5 »

After some time of reading and looking, we had come to the conclusions that, due to confines of space and money, it was probably best to get a decent digital piano for our 9 year old. We had narrowed it down to Kawai, Yamaha or Roland - favouring the Roland 103 (most affordable). Went into a piano shop to see and was trying to avoid looking or trying the 'real thing', but couldn't resist. I'd always been told Kemble were mellower than Yamaha, but there was the most beautiful looking and lovely sounding p112nt - (sounded much better and mellower than the Kemble Oxford next to it) - I don't play the piano, but I covet this piano!
Now what to do? It's nearly 3 times the price of the digital - should I talk to my bank manager?! Or is the digital a good and decent option to go for at this stage and then, if in a few years my son's still going strong, exchange for the real thing?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

It is a big dilemma for most folk spending all that money just to find the only person playing in twelve months is you with the duster

The nice thing with the real piano is that it will keep its value unlike the keyboard if you have to sell it in the future

You do have a third option quite a few shops have a hire scheme with an option to buy after 12 months and the money you spent is off set against the piano look to the links to the left “piano hire “

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
toskeye
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

digital or the real thing

Post by toskeye »

Pianos are a musical instrument, and I believe a good musical instrument will arouse your passions. Even a good drum will do it. You're supposed get excited when you hear a piano you like! Be careful, though, if you try ever more expensive pianos... as the price goes up, generally, you get into richer, fuller and more passion arousing sounds!

I've bought three pianos so far, digital and real pianos. Good digitals made to feel and sound like a real piano are available and are always much cheaper than a real piano. Used pianos in comparable price range are generally not very good instruments, but you can get lucky. If you buy used, either buy from a reputable dealer or find a tuner who will accompany you to inspect a privately offered piano you've chosen. They may do this for free or charge up to 100 quid.

A digital takes up less wall/room space, is easy to move, never needs tuning, can be played silently or on low volume. I like the ability to ask the kids to turn the piano down, and my wife practices at night after the kids are in bed with the volume down.

If your child is just starting to learn to play, it may take a year or two before he decides to stick with it and pursue it. A smaller outlay at this stage may prove wise if he gives it up after a year and moves on to something else. I started on piano at age 7 for two years, then went on to trumpet and clarinet before settling on drums/percussion. A digital piano is a practical solution for you.

But... if digital keyboards just don't resonate with you (sorry for the pun), do the less practical thing and get a piano. A good used piano kept in good condition tends to depreciate slowly, and you could even own it a few years and sell it for what you bought it for. New pianos depreciate quickly, like cars, but on a time scale 5 times slower.

I've got a digital for the practical reasons mentioned above, but I've also got a totally impractical grand piano... because it stirs my soul... and it is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship!

Good luck,
Eric
mary5

Post by mary5 »

All sound advice!
On most levels - not least financially and space, I think it makes sense to go with the digital option. Then in a few years time if he's still going strong, our budget might even stretch a bit further ...however, I've seen that piano now and next to it the digital looked, just what it is, a functional practical object. So it's emotions versus practicality..can't guarantee which will win here!
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Dilemma

Post by Geminoz »

Hi Mary :)

If you succumb to your emotions (and if you can afford it I hope you do :P ) you could ensure the piano would get plenty of use regardless of what happens with your child......learn to play yourself :wink: ... you are never to old to learn.