how does one rejuvenate a French polish?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

toskeye
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

how does one rejuvenate a French polish?

Post by toskeye »

I have a 1909 Bluthner grand. The majority of the piano case work is in its original black French polish; not as shiny anymore, several scrapes but only two or three actually through the balck to light wood underneath. There is light damage (I think) on one panel over the keys. Its a large patch of wood showing through, almost like some one wiped wet paint off.

:?: How do I rejuvenate this finish? Should I die the light wood first? Is there a polish that I can use that will bring back the shine without going through the effort of a real French polish?

If I must use French polish, can you recommend a product to buy or recipe to make that is easier for a novice to use? Any modern variants or top coat finishes that are better at resisting water damage?

:?: Assuming I refinish it and not just polish it, to fill in the scrapes, dents, etc, what should I use? and do I need to remove any of the finish or sand it down in order to fill it back and polish? Must I use pumice, as originally done, or are there modern fillers that do better or as well for less work? What about filling in the deeper gouges on corners? Is there a product that fills and can take the polish or should I rasp it and sand it off smooth and refinish?

Next part: Someone has already tried a partial refinish job... the top of the lid, part of the music desk and the cover to the keyboard have been spray painted a matte black paint.

Correct me if I'm wrong... I need to remove this paint to wood and re-French polish from scratch?
:cry:
I'm hoping here there is a miracle cure that will match the original finish.
:roll:

Now, if I was a stickler for getting the whole thing to look consistent again, do you think I can achieve this without stripping the entire thing down to wood and re-doing it all again... ie, fixing up the existing French polish and re-doing what is painted, and then have it all looking more or less the same?

:?: last question... the lyre is the only part of the piano that has this antique piano, bumpy surface to it. What causes it? Can I just sand it down and repolish it?

Lots of questions, I know, :oops: but I'm trying to assess the job ahead, if I can do this, or what needs to be done by professional.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: how does one rejuvenate a French polish?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

toskeye wrote: :?: How do I rejuvenate this finish? Should I die the light wood first? Is there a polish that I can use that will bring back the shine without going through the effort of a real French polish?

Polish reviver and scratch remover will hide quite a few problems with the case I would call in a French polisher a full strip and polish may not be needed but an on the spot inspection will be needed to judge this

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
toskeye
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by toskeye »

Barrie, thanks. What is a polish reviver, exactly; and what scratch remover do you refer to?

thanks,
Eric
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

They are products that can be purchased for most supermarkets in the UK Morison’s sell it, that is not much use to you living in Norway

They should sell it to you
http://www.fletcher-newman.co.uk/catalo ... _polishes/

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

There is a great reviver made by 3M called imperial hand glaze. Lots of furniture restorers use it. You can buy it at a car finishing suppliers.
Scratch cover is really just a dye in oil. Teak and tongue oil are useful applied spareingly.
Good luck!