Brand New Yamaha T121 vs 1980 U1H

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

eleinia

Brand New Yamaha T121 vs 1980 U1H

Post by eleinia »

Hi there. If you were in my shoes which would you buy - a brand new T121 or a 25 year old U1H?

(Also, does the H mean anything? Is a U1H the same as U1?)

Thank you!
Sarah
janetwilson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by janetwilson »

I was looking for a piano in this price range recently...
I don't know the T121, so can't comment.
I liked the 2nd hand Yamaha U1s, but they varied quite a bit.. sorry to complicate your choice, but you might find that it's not just a simple choice between the 2 models... it might be a matter of looking around for the U1 you like best....
(that's something I didn't realise when I started looking, so I thought it was worth pointing it out...)
Hopefully you will get some expert advice from the regular posters to this site...
Janet
fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by fumbler »

Hi,

Yes, we will have to wait for some expert on the very confusing and prolific Yamaha numbering.

The models for sale in the UK are the P121NT and the U1 and the U1N. As far as I can remember the P says it's to a European design. The N means made in the delightful Milton Keynes in the UK, and the T means traditional design. I would think that your numbering represents Asia/Pac models and manufacture.

Back to the point, I also read that the current 121s are better than the U1s made 15 years ago, so on that criterion the 121 is the better buy. (Most 15+ year old pianos I've tried have had obvious wear and are just as expensive as the new ones). I've come to the conclusion that financially the second-hand market (in the upper price range) just isn't worth bothering with.

Rgds.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

As Fumbler says go for the 121 all the 121s are the same just different cases to suit tastes in different parts of the world. The scaling of the 121s has been changed in the last few years they are making small changes all the time

As to the prefix and suffix letters if you ask at Yamaha UK you get a deep groan and a quick change of subject. There is probably some one some were in Yamaha who know them all and one day we will see him in the little black seat on Master Mind……. Your Chosen Subject is…..

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
eleinia

Thanks

Post by eleinia »

Thank you all for your advice.

I think I will go for the 121 - As much as I liked the 25 year old U1, I think most of this was probably because it was "worn in". At least new ones come with a warranty!

Sarah