bright tone

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

pianolad23
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

bright tone

Post by pianolad23 »

Hi guys, the tone on my new piano is not how i'd like it, i find it's too bright, can anyone tell me how voicing works? i just don't understand how stickin a needle into the hammer head can alter the tone, obviously it does but just how much does it alter it? also can the action be made lighter as my tuner/tech told me it cant! :-( any advice would be appreciated.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

First off all you should get a piano that matches your taste rather than alter the piano

Toning

You can alter the tone as much or as little as you like what you are doing is removing the elasticity from the felt by braking down the layered fibbers of the felt. However, there is more skill used to tone a piano then there is to tune one defiantly not a DIY project you can easily ruin a set of hammers

Touch

Pianos actions can be made lighter all depends on the Tech and your pocket did he/she test the up and down weights is it a grand or an upright and what is the make

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
pianolad23
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

bright tone

Post by pianolad23 »

Dear Barrie,

the piano is an upright (123cm) Palatino, i know what you mean about buying one that suits my taste but i fell in love with the piano as soon as i saw it coz its white! and i love white pianos. It sounded much nicer in the shop than it does in my home but i also appreciate the fact that the acoustics will be different, i just want the piano toning down so its not as loud and bright - i prefer a mellow tone. Also how often does voicing need to be done and on average how much does it cost ? Thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The frequency of toning all depends on the hammers and the player to give you an idea I am re-facing and toning a Bechstein next week that last time I toned it was when I installed new hammers 9 years ago both members of the family play the piano each day manly hymns

As to cost all depends on time I have give this piano all afternoon some you can do very quick less than an hour all depends on how deep you have to go some times we use steam or fabric softener as modem hammers can be very hard.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page