Steinway Model Z-help please

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Tina
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Tina »

Looking for a 'new' piano I have the chance to buy a (rather ugly!) 1984 Steinway Z model in excellent condition for ?5,500 which is right at the top of my budget. Can you tell me anything about this model? Is this a good price? Would I be better advised using the money to buy a good quality brand new piano? I am an experienced pianist desperately needing a new instrument as my 125 year old Collard and Collard is worn out!! Until I started on the hunt for an instrument I didn't realise how challenging it would be! Help needed.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The only problems I have found on this model is the first few notes in the Base tend to go tubby that can be fixed with some new strings the other one was damper tails worn through I have found this problem on two pianos c1970 pianos

Steinways do keep their value more than other makes However, I do think when it comes to uprights you are paying for the name and that goes for all the big four makes the price is good I have seen 1950s model Z go for that price

Barrie,
Last edited by Barrie Heaton on 28 Feb 2005, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Tina
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Tina »

Many thanks for your quick response-very helpful info.