Zimmerman

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Elsje
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Zimmerman

Post by Elsje »

Please can you tell me what is the differnece between Zimmerman 1110 and 111V? Is there a difference in quality?
I'd also like information on Boyd pianos - about 1925. It is now fully reconditioned. What is the general quality of the piano?
Lastly where are the Hermann Mayr pianos manufactured?
Thanks!
Bill Kibby

Boyd

Post by Bill Kibby »

I can't help you with Zimmerman or Mayr, what sort of thing are you looking for about Boyd pianos?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Elsje
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Elsje »

Thanks - I was interested in finding out about who made the pianos(Boyd) in the 1920s and what the quality was like then.
Bill Kibby

Boyd

Post by Bill Kibby »

In music, the “Three Bs” are Bach, Beethoven & Brahms. In the piano trade generally, the “Three Bs” are Bechstein, Blüthner & Bosendorfer, except in London, where they are Barnes, Berry & Boyd, three large retailers who had many branches around London last century. Surprisingly, Bansall, Brasted, Barratt & Robinson & even Broadwood and Brinsmead didn't get a look in, although Bechstein, Broadwood & Blüthner were a popular trio of names in some old dealers' ads. I used to work for Berrys, and have tuned so many Barnes, Berry and Boyd pianos over the years that it would seem pointless to put all the details on this file, but enquiries are welcomed.v They were a fairly average commercial piano, original made by Boyds themselves. John Markham, who used to be one of my bosses at Berry Pianos, told me that "Boyd was made by Brasted Bros., almost exclusively between the two wars". I can supply a report based on photos, type pianogen into your internet address bar.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Elsje
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Elsje »

Thank you very much - your comments were very helpful. I'm finding it extremely interesting to learn all about the different pianos.