Help!Non piano player trying to buy a piano!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

McCanno

Help!Non piano player trying to buy a piano!

Post by McCanno »

Hi I am very green when it comes to pianos but I am attempting to purchase one for my wife(as a surprise). She has not played for around 20 years and reached grade 3. I have searched about a lot over the past few months and have realised it is going to be a pretty difficult task as I have no base knowledge.
I am trying not to spend no more than £2000 if possible(I had initially thought I would spend less than £1000 but my eyes have been opened!) I have seen a few things in my price range and wanted to get some feedback that is not from the seller!(I have only looked in piano dealers as I know they will have been tuned and will have a guarantee. Pianos I have seen are as follows:

1. A Kawai bl-12 (1978) in good condition £2000.(10 year guarantee!)
2. A Kawai hat-20 (anytime) (1996) £2300 pristine condition.(I understand this is a lesser model compared to others in this list?)
3. A Yamaha u1 (1978) good condition £2400
4. (this one I have a few questions on) Yamaha u1 (1968) good condition. Would not have even though about this one due to the age but happened to speak to the tuner (as it was being tuned) he said it was playing very well was easy to tune and that it would be a good buy!(he has no affiliation with the dealer)A concern I have is that it does not have front trusses like every other u1 I have seen, but looks more like a u2.I thought maybe that was an earlier design?

Any input would be much appreciated!!!
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Help!Non piano player trying to buy a piano!

Post by Colin Nicholson »

All the pianos you mention are a reputable make and model. Obviously I can't comment on their condition/ tone/ touch and if any renovations done to them without seeing them myself - but I would probably go for the youngest of them all for durability/ tuning stability/ mechanism wear & tear etc.

Bear in mind that if its over 20 years since your wife played, she'll be no where near grade 3 now (with respect) - and even if she was say Grade 6, these pianos would probably out-perform any good pianist of grade 8 standard. Warranty periods may also vary depending on what you spend, ranging from 1 - 5 years. I wouldn't worry about truss designs, in fact some of the U1 and U3 range are almost identical, just one has a lock, and another one doesn't .... a bit like extras on a car.

Don't get too bogged down with the technical aspect of pianos - that comes later when you know more, and have been playing for say 10 or more years. I tune regularly these types of pianos - never had any problems, and a dream to tune & service.

Take your pick, and I'm sure your wife will enjoy the great surprise!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

I'm sure your wife will be delighted that you've decided to buy her a piano. Very commendable!

One thing to note though, please don't make the choice and the delivery of the piano a total surprise. Why?
I have heard and read of so many cases where a surprise piano gift is presented to a partner, and the immediate reaction is delight, which rapidly turns to regretful joy once the pianist starts to become familiar with his/her new instrument.
All pianos - even of the same make and model - are not the same. They may sound slightly different or feel different under the pianist's fingers, so do try and get the choice of an individual piano just right.

Choosing a piano can be a nightmare, or a very pleasurable journey. One may argue that even if the (God forbid) hastily chosen piano is 'not right' it can be re-voiced and the action regulated. This is true - albeit at a cost, but there is no guarantee that the result will be entirely pleasing.
It appears that you have decided to purchase a reputable make & model, and from a professional, which is a wise start.

I advise that you initially surprise your wife with the idea of the present - why not in a piano-related greetings card or similar, and then start out on the piano search together, leaving the decision-making to her.
Don't be in a hurry to buy, as this is the most common cause of buyers remorse. Try as many makes and models as possible. Although if you eventually choose a good Yamaha or Kawai, you shouldn't be disappointed.
Good luck, and please let us know how you get on.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I'm not sure if this member's wife will greatly know the difference between a finely regulated piano or not? Bearing in mind she has not played for around 20 years.
Yes, to a full-time musician and perhaps to a pianist with over 20 years experience, it does matter alot. When I used to work in a shop (not now though), I used to meet many 'regenerated' pianists, who were looking to restart playing. Some had even reached beyond Grade 6 standard (ABRSM) - but when they struck a chord - using completely the wrong fingers (2nd, 3rd & 4th finger for a C major tonic triad!!) - well, the customer was then 'putty' at my feet - if you know what I mean.

I like the surprise element alot, and another suggestion would be to even ring a piano teacher and book half a dozen lessons (prepaid) - and present the lessons as a voucher after delivery of the piano? That's just the icing on the cake! .... but then, you could possibly approach your potential teacher and ask them to meet you at the shop try a few pianos for you.... I have done this, there is a small charge, and well worth it to get a 2nd opinion from a professional pianist's point of view (the person playing it - not selling it.... there's a difference). Yes, never rely purely on the words of the seller/ retailer ...... they just want a sale at the end of the day - and pocket your money in the nicest way possible. Money in the bank.... thank you!

If the retailer is doing their job properly, the piano shouldn't really need to be revoiced and regulated if checked over first - and I guess many would never even know the difference, even if the hammers bumped you on the head!

We used to also drop in a bottle of champagne, along with a free stool and handsome warranty! Those were the days.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Withindale »

I agree with New Age.

A few weeks ago I went to our local piano dealer, at our tuner's suggestion, largely to see how touch weights compared. Alongside some shiny Chinese pianos there were a couple of used Yamaha U3s at £3,250 plus and a couple of Knights at £1,750, one not used much.

If I'd had to choose I would have chosen the Knight, probably even if the prices had been the same. But if I'd been in your position how would I have known my wife would have liked and preferred the Knight? It's a very personal thing, the frisson of a piano.

Just a thought.

Ian
McCanno

Post by McCanno »

Thanks a lot for the comments everybody! Just back from the dealer who was selling the aforementioned Kawai and happened to see a 1978 Yamaha U1 in excellent condition (far as I can tell) He knew I had been looking around different dealers for a while and said he wanted to be competitive. So he offered me the Yamaha U1 with delivery adjustable stool, a 10 year warranty plus he will store it for me until my wife's birthday(end of October). All for £2200! He is holding it for me until tomorrow so I can have a think through in my head. But as far as I am concerned it is the best deal I have seen.

Any thoughts??