What upright piano?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

anna rees

What upright piano?

Post by anna rees »

I am wanting to buy an upright piano in the price range £3000 - £5000 bracket. I play the piano myself, used to teach piano, and am wanting my daughter to learn in the future. The piano will go in a smallish lounge. I was originally interested in the Yamaha U3, but was told that in a smaller space ie not a school hall, it would sound similar to the V series. Is this true? Also is there much difference between the V118 and the V124?
I haven't yet looked at any Kembles. Do they differ much from the Yamahas?
Thank you!

Anna
Jim
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Jim »

Anna,

I don't know much about the different Yamaha models, but Yamaha pianos have a very bright tone compared to Kembles.

I've tried both out in shops and my brother has a Yamaha which I've played quite a bit; personally I don't like Yamahas because of their bright tone.

Kembles have a more mellow tone and in my view are more suitable for playing a wide range of music on.

I'm sure others will have their own opinions as well, and of course you will be trying them out for yourself. Go with the one you like.

Jim
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Jim have pointed out the difference from the Kemble and Yamaha but also Kemble has some nicer looking pianos but again that is down to taste

As to the V118 and the V124 the 124 has a much better bass not a lot in the difference in the treble

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
anna rees

Post by anna rees »

thank you both for posting replies so quickly! I haven't yet played a Kemble, but I will do soon to compare the tone.
Out of the Kemble pianos, which one would you recommend? Looking at prices on the internet, I think the K121ZT is the best in my price range. What do you think? Thank you!

Anna
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

there is a Second-hand one for sale on our site at a good price

http://www.uk-piano.org/used-pianos-for ... iteid=1138

They do have a nice Bass for the size

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
amvs
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by amvs »

I just bought a new K121ZT for ?3800 from a London dealer after going shopping with a similar budget, you can also get the K131 for under ?5,000 though I didn't like the sound as much. I found I preferred the Kemble sound to the Yamaha U1/U3.

The advertised piano mentioned in the previous post may not be for sale, I called and found that they are moving house and won't know for a few weeks whether they will be able to get the piano up the stairs to the new flat.

If you are in London, Chappells, Marksons and J Reid all have Kembles and Yamahas in the same showrooms to give you a chance to compare
anna rees

Post by anna rees »

I live in Chester, so London is a bit far away, but there are a few internet shops selling the Kemble 121VT or Yamaha V124NT for £3800 ish, with free UK delivery. All my friends with pianos are big fans of the U3, so it is interesting that you preferred the Kemble. I'll have to go and have a compare in a big piano showroom.

Anna
anna rees

Post by anna rees »

I've tried the P121 in the past, and at the time much preferred the V124, as I think I preferred the bass to it. As yet I've not compared the Kembles, as I was always so keen on the Yamahas, but I'll have to give them a listen.