polyester damage

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

pianolad23
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

polyester damage

Post by pianolad23 »

I had my new piano delivered on weds but on bringing it in my house the removal company damaged it on the right hand panel at the bottom, the piano is white and has a polyester finish, altho i am in the process of trying to get them to sort this out i was just wondering can this be fixed professionaly to as good as new ? it had cracked the polyester finish and taken some of it off. also the piano sounds very bright and shrieky, i have got a tuner coming to it on weds, is the bright and shrieky sound something that can be sorted out ?

Thanks
Chris
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

White Polyester is a pain to fix, is it in a very visible area as some times you can get a shadow line on the joint, some polishers are better than other as fixing Polyester chips.

As to your other problem, the piano just needs toning down most tuners can do this. However, I have gone to client’s houses and after the piano is tuned they are happy with the tone, some makes of piano don’t travel well and they go very badly out of tune.

Play the piano after the piano is tuned before the tuner goes, if you still think it is bright and shrieky then ask him ore her to tone it down it is better to pre worn the tuner before the visit about toning Some tuners may ask for extra cash for toning if it is a free tuning you are getting

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
pianolad23
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianolad23 »

Dear Barrie, thanks for your reply.

I have pre warned the tuner about the bright sound and he said the same as you about when it is tuned i mite like the sound anyway !

What does a 'shadow line' mean ?

I am hoping throught a legal letter the shop will eventually own up to this and pay to have it fixed

Many thanks
Chris
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

pianolad23 wrote:
What does a 'shadow line' mean ?

I am hoping throught a legal letter the shop will eventually own up to this and pay to have it fixed

Many thanks
Chris
Hi Chris

It is a very faint line that can appear where the new meets the old polyester in some cases it looks like a shadow like on a raised image. White polyester tends to show this more but if the chip is down at the bottom of the piano you probably will not notice it but if it is on the cheek or lit then it may stand out. The more skilled the polisher is the fainter the line – the only way of not having a line is to do the complete section but if it is the end of the piano then it will have to go away for that.

I would see what they come up with if it is just a faint line that you only can see if you point it out, then see if you can get a drop in the price, but if it is an eyesore get them to change the piano, you have to give them the right to put it right first under TS law.

Don’t go into the shop with all guns firing if it was the removal company’s fault the shop will be just as annoyed as you, be firm but not aggressive.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page